D.C. Area Babies

tips/encouragement needed: talking with boss about FT to PT

i've been working my corporate job PT since Feb - 2 days in the office and approximately 12-16 hours at home (not always between 9-5). i'm expected back FT next week.

a) i HATE them and cannot fathom going back there every day.

b) i need day time hours to devote to my personal wellness business. 

c) i am not in a financial position to quit the corporate job yet.

d) there is no real reason why i can't do my job from home on my own hours, but my boss likes to see me. he's a mega micromanager and even with regular check-ins and a history of never letting him down, i doubt he's going to be a fan of my plan.

i need tips/encouragement/kick in the arse to talk to him. i'll probably talk with him tomorrow when i'm in next.

i guess i know exactly what i want to say (i want to continue my current situation indefinitely), but i don't think he's going to go for it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tips/encouragement needed: talking with boss about FT to PT

• You need to spin it in a way that it is a benefit for them. Think about everything that you bring to the job and why they would want to make it work to keep you on. This need to be better for them than hiring someone new full time. There are things that YOU bring to the table (experience, knowledge, etc.). Be ready to talk about those.  Also, if it's true, talking about how the flexible schedule will let you get things done on a less traditional time table - e.g., you could handle something that comes in at 5 pm in the evening and have it ready before 9 the next morning.

You need to be ready to offer a solid commitment for X amount of time - 1 year, 2, whatever.

You need to do it ASAP, and you need to be willing to go in full time for at least the next month while they figure out how to fill in the time you will not be working. Unless there's just not the work for you to do full time, they need someone else to take over that time - be it a new employee or an existing employee. Figure out how to tell them that you just now considered the part time option. You don't want them to think that you've been thinking about this all along but are just now bringing this to their attention.

Be prepared for them to say and know what your fall-back position will be (e.g., quit or go back full time for now). 

Think of other alternatives that are a compromise between your ideal and their ideal and be willing to offer those. Maybe even offer those as a trial run and see if you can try working up to your ideal.

I don't think you were suggesting that you would say this, but just in case, don't tell the boss that you don't really need to be in the office. I completely understand what you're saying, but I also know how much easier it is to work with someone when they're in the office because you know they're available and you can pop in with a question, etc.

And, GOOD LUCK!

• I would highlight how well things have been going with your current arrangement (assuming they are going well!).  Focus on how the current arrangement makes you a better employee and better able to serve the company.  Ask or offer up other things you could do to ensure your perfomance and appease his micromanaging ways.  Speak with confindence.  If he senses that you might be swayed it will be easier for him to say now.  Sorry, I don't know what you do, so I can't offer specifics.  Good luck!  These conversations are always hard even under the best of circumstances.
  • Loading the player...
  • I dread these types of conversations so I know how you feel.

The only thoughts I have is to make a list of why this is working well. Highlight that you have been able to keep up with your work, that you are able to check in during the 2 days a week that you are in the office, that it has not negatively affected your performance or productivity, etc. I would give him a copy of this list at the meeting to review together.

I would also make your own list (not to share with him) of why *he* may not like this arrangement and think of ways to make him more comfortable. For example, if he feels like he doesn't know what you are doing on your working from home days, maybe agree to send him a list of what you are working on and what you have completed (if you aren't already). Or if there's a monthly meeting that you miss due to being out, maybe volunteer to come in on that one day for the meeting. Mainly, just have a way to respond to any of his reasons of why this does not work well.

When I asked to go down to 4 days a week, I asked my boss if we could do a 3 month trial period so that she didn't have to agree to the arrangement indefinitely which I think she liked. It sounds like you've already had a trial period so maybe the two of you could agree to meet every 2-3 months to discuss the arrangement so he doesn't feel like he has to agree to it forever. You could request that you meet again in 2-3 months to discuss and reassess.

Good luck with the conversation. I know these can be difficult.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think you got some great advice...and I would just add that when you make the case about how well things have been going and how you want to continue them, setting some sort of timeframe on it could be helpful, even if it's just a check in benchmark to make sure the arrangement is still working for everyone.  That gives your boss the feeling of control and may make it more palatable.

GL!!

• are you available outside normal business hours? is that an advantage? can you say "you know the clients can reach me upto 7pm every night" or something like that?

good luck! Look good, speak with confidence, look him in the eye.

• I like pp's suggestion that you propose a time-limited extension of the current schedule and then re-evaluate.

If you're not in a position to leave the job, I'd think of a few scenarios in addition to your current schedule that would be acceptable to you and maybe more palatable to your boss if an extension is a non-starter. You're working 2 days in the office and an additional 2 in hours? Would you work 3 days in the office? 4? Would you be open to telecommuning during business hours? Working a reduced hour schedule? For example, I work PT, and the "win-win" is that I'm in the office 5 days a week, but I leave early which gives me a shorter commute and more time at home per day. In short, I think being willing to compromise to meet your boss's needs as well will strengthen your case.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • oooh, these are all wonderful suggestions! thank you so much.

i'd already started the list of what i bring to the table that he can't afford to lose and last night DH and i discussed what i anticipate the boss would say so that i can mitigate his concerns. i feel like i have pretty good lists done. 

i'm working on a project right now that he can't afford to lose me on. but i'm also super nervous that he's just going to say no, i would rather quit and take a serious blow to my personal economy than go back FT. and that's exactly what i'd do if i lived alone! LOL!

thank you for the suggestions. i can see a way to work them all into my presentation. 

:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"