Blended Families

When Did First Let Your Kids Stay Home Alone?

DH and I were just discussing this and the two PP's got me wondering what other people do. DH and I were raised to be very independent (had to be) and were both latch key kids before age 10. Our parents let us do things like walk to the store alone or take the city bus downtown with a friend at age 8, although I think they felt it was a safer time and would never do that now. 

SS is nearly 11 and I don't know if BM ever leaves him alone, but I don't think I feel comfortable letting him be home alone for even a half hour. This is partly due to repercussions from BM, who has taken photos of a blister from the monkey bars to court as an attempt to accuse DH of child abuse. We feel like we have to wrap SS is bubble wrap whenever we do anything and I have promised DH we won't have to be like this for our future children. A google search recommendation said 8 yrs, but 12 yrs on a regular basis, and a few states have laws about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When Did First Let Your Kids Stay Home Alone?

• FloF9FloF9 member
    SS  came to live with us when he was 10 and he had a key to the house.  He would let himself in when the bus dropped him off.  Eat a snack and wait for his dad to get home from work (around an hour and a half later).  We felt comfortable with him - depends on the child though.
  • My DH left the kids home alone while he drove to the post office, literally at the end of our road. SDs were 7 & 8 and he was gone 5-10 minutes and BM teamed him out. I'm not sure what age is ok, I think it depends on the kid.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, a few states do have laws that dictate the age you can leave kids home alone.

Some hospitals offer courses for kids--classes about staying home alone or sitter safety type stuff. You might want to look into that.

I had to write an article about this for my last job, and I interviewed a nurse who said that it truly does depend on the kid. She taught one of these courses at a hospital in St. Louis.

But you can talk about it with the kid, allow him to express any concerns he has, and if he's okay with it, then you can start with 10-15 minutes and build him up a bit from there. You can go over home safety rules, trust concepts, and then make sure all the phone numbers he might need are easily accessible.

I started staying home by myself at 7 or so, and by age 12 my parents were leaving me home with my younger siblings all day during the summer and after school during the school year. It was fine.  

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The whole thing with phone numbers got me thinking. I don't have a house line and my cell always go's with me. I haven't thought of leaving kids home alone cause we only have them on weekends but it will make me think if that ever changes. This an issue for anyone else?
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I have never read 8yo and think that is REALLY young.  My nieces started staying home alone after school when the oldest was 11 and the youngest was 9 and I think that was too young for the 11yo b/c she gets scared easy.  But generally for a short period of time I would say 12 maybe 11 depending on the kid.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imagesummerlilly2008:
    The whole thing with phone numbers got me thinking. I don't have a house line and my cell always go's with me. I haven't thought of leaving kids home alone cause we only have them on weekends but it will make me think if that ever changes. This an issue for anyone else?

They definitely need access to a phone, emergencies happen and I know someone that burnt down their apartment cooking on the stove and that was at 16yo.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Well, it depends on the kid, for sure. Plus, things are so different now than they were when we were growing up.

I don't think I'll leave Sophie alone at home until she's at least 11 and she's pretty responsible. I'd never leave her alone with Charlotte though, until she's much older, because they tend to argue sometimes. If anything happened because I decided to leave them home alone one time, I'd never forgive myself.

Sophie Elisabeth 07.23.02 and Charlotte Abigail 12.08.04 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~However motherhood comes to you, it's a miracle. ~
  • We left DD at home about a week ago for 15 mins by herself. She is 11. DH usually picks her up from school (located at the back of our subdivision) and then takes her to his school (near the front of our subdivision) and she sits in his office until he gets off work. That day, I got off work early for an appointment and called him as he was picking her up and told him I was already at SIL's house getting the baby and to just drop her by the house and I would be home in a few minutes.

I was scared the whole time even though DH was literally on the next street over LOL. I don't know why, at her age I was running around everywhere by myself. I just started letting her ride her bike on the sidewalk without me outside last year.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• We are talking about the possibility of allowing oldest SS to stay home alone for short periods on a very limited basis: trips to the grocery store, etc. and possibly stay on the school playground without a parent (like while I run younger SS to soccer) with a cell phone.

I need to check on our state's laws, though.  I think being in a blended family makes us more cautious because a bad decision could really come back to bite you, even if no harm comes of it.  I kind of like the addition of that cautiousness, though, since I think it only benefits the kids.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • imagesummerlilly2008:
    The whole thing with phone numbers got me thinking. I don't have a house line and my cell always go's with me. I haven't thought of leaving kids home alone cause we only have them on weekends but it will make me think if that ever changes. This an issue for anyone else?

I've never left my skids "home alone" before, but sometimes DH and I go to the neighbor's to visit/eat/have coffee or whatever.  Sometimes, the skids (ages 8 and 9) don't want to go with, and would prefer to stay at our house and play.  On those occasions I'll usually leave my husband's cell phone with them and we take my cell phone.  (We're just next door, so they wouldn't really NEED to call, they could just come over, but still). 

• I left older ds(15) home by himself when he was 11 for about half hour tops. We actually had a problem when he started middle school. He had just turned 11. There were no afterschool programs at the ymca or the school for kids his age. I did not feel comfortable with him getting off the bus and being home for 3 hours by himself. He was not mature enough for that. I hated it but he had to go to a daycare after school, but he was safe. By the end of the year dh had different hours at work and was home for the bus.
  • I want to say when DSS was 9-10, we'd leave him alone if we were running down the street to the store or something similar but to actually leave him home alone for a few hours at a time he was about 12.  And if it was evening time we generally invited DH's little brother who was 19-20 (but acted younger) over to hang out with DSS like they were just hanging as friends, but really he was helping us out by staying with him.  13-14 was when we felt more comfortable in the evening to go out and leave him home.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nathan is 11 and I have not yet stay home himself.  I just can't do it, maybe it is everything he's been throught, the thought of something bad is always in the back of my mind.  We will see.  I do know that in the state of IL a child has to be 13 before left alone for long periods of time.
  • My mom worked from 2AM - 12PM from the time I was 8 until just as recently as 2 years ago. (I'm 25 now). My sister and I (who is 2 years younger than me) would be left to fend for ourselves. We got ourselves up in the morning for school, got ready, walked to school on our own. Summers and weekends we did our own thing. We were not alllowed to leave the house unless it was for school, though. We couldn't just go outside and play if our mom hadn't come home from work yet.

I think about doing that, now as an adult, and I keep thinking 'how was I ever able to do that at that age???'. I was a very independent kid, and often times felt like I had to be an 'adult'. So I think my mom knew I was responsible. But still, looking back, I feel like 8 was too young. But my mom had to do what she had to do, she was a single mom and had no family around to help out.

SS is only 5 so we won't be meeting this particular issue for a while, but I think that we will have to assess what maturity level SS is at when he gets to certain ages, and we can decide from there. I don't even know what the law for staying home alone is in Nevada...

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • It's interesting to hear what everyone has to stay. I totally agree that it depends on the child and based on SS' maturity level and our BF situation, I doubt we'll really consider it until he is 12, and even then only for short times.
  • My son started walking home from school when he was in 7th grade, so 12 years old.  I would leave him alone here and there when he was 10, for 30 minutes or so if I had to run to the store or something.  My dd is 9 and I haven't and don't plan to leave her alone anytime soon.

My ss started walking home from school when he was maybe 11, I think.  Which I think is fine too.  He lives pretty close to his school and it is a nice area, and tons of kids walk and ride thier bikes to and from school.

If BM is as bad as you say, I'd probably get some sort of "agreement" between her and you DH as to what is an age they both agree on is acceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"