Secondary IF
Options

Looks like I'll be having surgery (and I have a question)

So I got AF this morning. 6 days early. Which I guess means my IUI,etc was for nothing since I probably didn't ovulate with a 20 day cycle, right? Shouldn't something have been up with my bloodwork? In any event, I'm most likely having either a laproscopy (to locate my awol ovary) or a myomectomy (to remove my big old fibroid) or both. My consult is on the 6th. So here's my question....should I ask to go straight to IVF afterwards? My cycles are wacky on a pretty consistent basis (ie: 6 months normal and then 6 months of 17-20 days). I feel like this past month was just worthless. With IVF, they pretty much control your cycle, right? Does it make sense that I'd rather just do that? I'm totally rambling right now because there are about 8 billion things running through my head and obviously I'll have a list for my doctor but I figured I'd throw it out there and see what you guys think. Thanks :)

Re: Looks like I'll be having surgery (and I have a question)

• Options

I went back to your post about triggering and I hate to say this, but I had a 20 day cycle the cycle after iui was cancelled. I had lots of cysts at my baseline u/s.  I really wonder if your doctor didn't do everything for you this cycle by not checking for that at the start.  But you also say that this isn't necessarily abnormal for you, so who knows if it was an issue with the trigger not working for you, cyst, or some other factor.  From my past experience I would say wait to see what results you get from the surgery before thinking about IVF, but I know the need to start planning ahead for after that.  From what I've been told about injectibles that would be the next step to controlling your cycles better and if you are not responding to clomid. 

ETA: I forgot to say I am really sorry that it didn't work this time.  I wish there was some sort of consolation prize to be given for dealing with the evil effects of clomid with nothing to show for it. 

Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• Options

So injectables control cycles as well? I know they were discussed as being the next step but I have to say I'm pretty ignorant as to what exactly the do. I assumed they were like the clomid, just stimulating follicles. I'm just depressed & confused. If my cycles are this short, is all this stimulating even doing anything? And yeah, I agree with the need for the baseline. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but the high estrogen from the bloodwork could also have been indicative of a cyst so who knows. At least with the injectables (or ivf), there is a lot more monitoring.

The surgery isn't really for any "result" other than the fact that they can't get a visual on the ovary and don't want me going to injectables without being able to get an accurate follie count. He said in order to do that, they MAY need to remove the fibroid. So it's nothing really fertility related, just another freaking bump in the road. The fun never ends :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

First off I'm so sorry that this cycle didn't work out for you and that now you are being faced with surgery.

I will share that, like you, I always got my period earlier (generally a week) than expected with my RE (and before I started going to the RE).  I never even made it to a beta test before this past month. After paying for a failed timed intercourse cycle and an aggressive IUI cycle completely out of pocket we determined that we would just move onto IVF(also at the advice of our doctor).

I personally felt that we weren't getting anywhere with the IUI and TI cycles because there was some underlying hormonal issue that was causing me to have these super short cycles.

Honestly the complete hormone supplementation of IVF gave me peace of mind that even if my body wasn't cooperating, the medications would force it into submission. And force it they did!

Wishing you all the best as you make your decisions.

• Options

Leeba25 on the NJ board did a bunch of injectible rounds and she was telling me that if I was responding to clomid they probably wouldn't recommend injectibles.  It also didn't sound like all that much less than ivf, monitoring included.

You will know after the surgery exactly what you are working with because there is a degree of error to hsg's so I think there can be added benefit there even if it's not the purpose. 

Do you know if you can move ahead the next cycle after surgery or is it affected by what they do with the fibroid? 

Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• Options
    Obviously I won't know anything for sure until I have my next consult but I was under the impression I could move ahead after surgery. That makes sense re: the hsg. Good point.
  • Options
    imagekellyjg123:

I personally felt that we weren't getting anywhere with the IUI and TI cycles because there was some underlying hormonal issue that was causing me to have these super short cycles.

Honestly the complete hormone supplementation of IVF gave me peace of mind that even if my body wasn't cooperating, the medications would force it into submission. And force it they did!

That's exactly my line of thinking regarding going to IVF.  

• Options
    image50ftqueenie:
    imagekellyjg123:

That's exactly my line of thinking regarding going to IVF.  

That is my understanding as well... Injectibles or IVF was what my RE suggested if clomid/iui didn't work.  My understanding is that the difference between injectibles and clomid is that injectibles results in (and they want) a larger amount of follies.  My RE's office does do closer monitoring with injectibles then clomid, so that could help as well.  

ETA: I am so sorry you are going through this.  Hopefully between the surgery and consults you'll get the answers you need.  

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oh no! I am so sorry. FWIW, a few times, I have gotten my period a week early while on injectibles (follistim), trigger shot, and progesterone for an IUI cycle. I would think that if you didn't ovulate that your RE would never have done an IUI. I know there was some debate b/c your ovary wasn't in view, but if your blood levels indicated no issue, I would think you ovulated, right?

IMHO, I would consult with your RE and see what if he/she can give an injectible IUI cycle a shot and if it works great. if not, RE will know how you respond to stims and be able to dose your meds accordingly for IVF right out the gate. While the RE controls your cycle more with IVF, it doesn't mean your body isn't going to do what it wants anyway. My IVF was delayed a month because I ovulated through BCPs and Lupron supression. Unfortunately, there is no sure thing. If surgery is in the forecast anyway, can they just remove the fibroid while they are in there? I would want that for peace of mind and to be sure there was nothing interrupting my ability to get pregnant....not saying that is what your issue is, just my 2 cents).

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. Please know you have so many people in your corner. {{{HUGS}}}
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    JMayJMay member
    I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, but I wanted to wish you well, both for your surgery and for your new treatment plan!
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • Options
    I really don't have any advice to add.  I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are facing surgery, and I really hope you get the answers you are looking for soon!
    DD: Grace (8/19/2007)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD: Harper (11/27/2011) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry.

I'm really confused, though, about your IUI. Did your RE not do u/s a progesterone bloodwork to confirm ovulation? 

I'm so jealous of you NJ people who can just ask to go to IVF, it's not even an option for us (unless we hit the lottery).  In light of my circumstances, I'd give IUI another go.  But I can see why you'd want more controlled cycles, and if you have that option, I could see doing that.  I just confused as to why this cycle wasn't more heavily monitored. Wow, I'm just zero help, aren't I.

What I do have to offer is support! I hope your RE consult goes well and that you get both the answers you need to understand what's been going on, and a good new plan moving forward. Good luck, I'm pulling for you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagechoirgirl:

I'm so sorry.

I'm really confused, though, about your IUI. Did your RE not do u/s a progesterone bloodwork to confirm ovulation? 

No, they do. They don't do a baseline u/s though which it seem most other re's do. They do the blood draw & follie check and then progesterone 7 days post iui. They only call if there's an issue w/ the progesterone so I'm guessing it did show ovulation....

• Options
    Oh, ok. Mine also did a 1 dpiui u/s and blood draw, to see if follies appeared to have released eggs, in addn to progesterone checks. When was your iui? Maybe they can do something to lengthen your luteal phase. I'm so sorry this cycle didn't work. Here's to hoping we both have a great cycle next month!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My iui was last Friday, the 18th. Yeah, I don't know what they can do but I have a laundry list of questions for my "next step consult" on the 6th. I think I have to get this surgery out of the way first though....
  • Options
    Totally agree Amanda.  I was just always worried about the luteal phase of my cycle since it had shortened so much.  Having the estrogen and progesterone supplementation gave me a little peace of mind that at least the hormones were in my body to facilitate a pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"