Potty Training
Options

Opinions on when to PT

Hi ladies! I'm just looking for a little advice and opinions on when a good time to PT my DS. We are expecting our 2nd in October and I really want to have him out of diapers by then. We are also moving across the country in Aug. I know a big move and new baby so close together could possibly cause him to regress so I want to start well in advance. However, at 19 months he is showing absolutely no signs of being ready. He couldn't care less if he has pee/poo in his diaper.

We have a potty that he will come sit on while I am using the restroom. But if I try to put him on there with no diaper he immediately gets off and gets upset if I try to put him back on there. We have a potty chair and training seat over the toilet, he doesn't care for either.

I know that the 3 day method recommends 22 months as the youngest age. Did anyone find success this early or earlier? He will be 22 m. in June, does this seem too close to the time we are moving?

If you have gotten this far, thanks for reading. I understand that all children are different and I will take his cues in considerations. I would just like some advice from mom with PT experience! TIA

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Opinions on when to PT

• Options
    I personally would wait until after the move and the baby to tackle PT.  That said, I PT my son using the 3 day method when he was 25 months old, 3 months after my daughter was born, and it worked.  He was showing no signs of interest or readiness when I started; it didn't matter.
  • Options
    I would wait as well. I think you will be creating a lot more work and frustration for yourself if you push it when he is not ready.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We PT DS at 17 months old when we were an maternity/paternity leave.  It went very easy- we did day, naps and nightime.  I will say though at 14 months old he was telling us when he had to poop but we put off PT until we were on baby leave so we just had him still poop in his diaper at that time.  Looking back, we probably could have PT him then but I'm glad we waited the few extra months when he was 17 months- he seemed to grasp in more at that age.  I just recommend no pressure and make it fun- run, race, chase to the potty, etc.  Keep the pressure off him and perhaps set a timer and every day extended it until you don't have to use it.  GL
  • Options
    DD is 23 months and is still not ready.
    DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Options
    19 months is pretty early for a boy.  If I were you I would just wait until after the move and after baby. 
    imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"