Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Dried blood in ear? Diagnose my baby!

This morning I noticed DS had a clump of dried blood in his ear. Is that an indication that his eardrum ruptured?

Last time we went to the pedi a week or so ago, he had fluid in his ear, but it wasn't an infection. Last night was an unusually bad night and he was screaming like he was in pain, so I gave him ibuprofen thinking he might be teething. He seems totally fine today.

I'm going to call the pedi tomorrow, but in the meantime, diagnose my baby please!

My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Dried blood in ear? Diagnose my baby!

• It could be.  DD had dried blood in her ear once too and I think it was from scratching it.  She is always digging in her ears but every time we got to the pedi she says they are fine.  I think she just does it when she's tired and teething.  I have read that an infected ear drum can rupture and that you will see blood and puss possibly.  

How much blood was it?  Can you see a scratch or anything underneath the clump of blood?  

If it were me I would probably just call the pedi tomorrow like you said and see what they suggest.  GL! 

• Was there pus in it as well? Sounds like a ruptured ear drum to me...but the pedi could confirm. You'll want to keep an eye out in future, as rupturing too often can start to lead to hearing loss, and you'll want to mitigate that by having tubes put in, etc if he's prone to them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My guy pulls and scratches his ears while he is teething or tired. If his figernails are long, he will draw blood. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both of my girls have had ruptured ear drums and never had blood.  They just had puss in their ear.  I would bet he just scratched himself.

• My DD likes to scratch around in her ear... probably teething...we have to keep her nails short. When you clean it out or just wipe the blood away.. does it look like it was scratched?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"