Special Needs

New CMV diagnosis while pregnant

Hi I am 13 weeks pregnant and yesterday at my Drs. appointment I had all my labs viewed and I tested positive for having CMV and the Dr, said I was newly infected. I was wondering If any of you ladies were infected during pregnancy and what if any testing was done for your child while you were still carrying them, Also what prognosis was the baby given after birth, and did any of your babies actually have any congenital issues i.e. Hearing or vision loss, mental retardation,

Thank god for boards like these b/c I have never heard of this virus until yesterday and I am scared.

Thank you in Advance

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New CMV diagnosis while pregnant

• Mani,

I was exposed to CMV during my pregnancy. I work with students with special needs and had been in contact with a child who has CMV. I do know that this child Ian is 12 and has far surpassed the expectations of his doctors. I did not test positive for the virus. I wish you all the luck in the world getting the knowledge you need to ease your mind. What I do remember is that some people carry CMV and never know it. I would try to find out how you were infected. 

• There was a momma who posted here before the format changed who was infected with CMV during pregnancy and did have a SNC as a result - although I don't remember all the details of his specific issues.  She is a super nice lady with lots of information - she shared a lot info with me about prevention,etc b/c I am CMV negative and newly pregnant. 

I wish I could get back to the old format to find her nest name - hopefully she still hangs out here and will see your post - b/c she really was a wealth of information.

Best wishes to you!

Hannah

• Loading the player...
  • https://www.cdc.gov/cmv/testing.htm

this website has some good info. good luck!

• Aw, thanks hannah&ben!  :)  That was me.  Hope all is going well with you!! 

Mani, my son was born with congenital CMV.  I believe I was infected at 6 weeks pregnant but had no idea until after Joshua was born.  I had never heard of it until Josh was diagnosed.  :(  No testing was done while I was still carrying him and my pregnancy was textbook.  He was born at 39 weeks and passed his newborn hearing screen.  We had no idea anything was wrong until he was diagnosed at 10 days old with congenital CMV and we found that he had intracranial calcifications.  He was treated with gancyclovir for 6 weeks and has no visual impairment.  He does have a slight hearing loss on one side, but it's really minimal.  He is currently 7 months old and involved in early intervention.  He gets occupational therapy once a week and is doing really well! He's currently functioning at about a 4 month old level physically, but is at a 7 month level cognitively.  We just saw a developmental pediatrician last week and found out he will most likely be diagnosed with spastic quad cerebral palsy once he's a year old.  If you want to email me, you can reach me at jamielyn1129 at gmail dot com.  I'd love to talk to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"