Maryland Babies
Options

AAMC OB practice recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for an OB practice that delivers at AAMC?

I haven't been thrilled with my first 2 visits to Chesapeake Women's care despite many other positive reviews on these boards... also have concerns about Women OB and didn't like Annapolis OB.

I have been a patient at Shady Grove Fertility for several years and I guess I have been spoiled by my own assigned nurse, frequent vaginal ultrasounds, frequent monitoring, etc. 

It seems like not much happens with OB's  before 20 weeks.  I am also very anxious about labor and delivery so looking for expertise, calm and reassuring manner....

Thanks!

Juli

Re: AAMC OB practice recommendation

• Options
    wish i could help, I go to Chesapeake and love them.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not trying to pry but are you considered high risk?  (I wasn't sure if you were due to the fertility treatments) If not, I think that you are looking more for a midwife type experience.  And I wasn't very pleased w/Annapolis OB/Gyn either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have gone to Chesapeake Womens for years and delivered with them.  Unless you are high risk or have any issues they only schedule one scan, the 20 weeks.  Personally, I like that, if there aren't any issues there is no reason to do unecessary procedures.  However, I ended up with a C/S after being induced and after reading/researching and talking to a few other mom's next time I will be using Bay Area Midwifery and hopefully will have a successful VBAC.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageCooper81:

I have gone to Chesapeake Womens for years and delivered with them.  Unless you are high risk or have any issues they only schedule one scan, the 20 weeks.  Personally, I like that, if there aren't any issues there is no reason to do unecessary procedures.  However, I ended up with a C/S after being induced and after reading/researching and talking to a few other mom's next time I will be using Bay Area Midwifery and hopefully will have a successful VBAC.

I actually read a not so flattering comment by someone yesterday about the mws there - she was a VBAC.  With that being said I wouldn't recommend Special Begs for a VBAC either as you are required to be at the hospital.  But it was only 1 review so perhaps something to look into.

• Options
    imageanonsouthernbell:
    imageCooper81:

I actually read a not so flattering comment by someone yesterday about the mws there - she was a VBAC.  With that being said I wouldn't recommend Special Begs for a VBAC either as you are required to be at the hospital.  But it was only 1 review so perhaps something to look into.

What was the review, I'm curious?  You are required to deliver at AAMC with a VBAC with Bay Area as well, but I figure my chances of a VBAC with them are higher than with CWC considering my past experience with them.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've been going to Women OB/GYN for two pregnancies and they have been wonderful. Especially when I had some complications earlier this pregnancy. One of my friends who is a physician goes there as well. I have reccomended the practice to several friends who all go there now and have had good experiences as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Working Mom.
  • Options

I think it depends on who you see.  I was very dissatisfied with my first appointment and told my husband that I may be going elsewhere.  I was more happy with my second appointment and now have appointments with my doctor of choice for the next three months.  I have to say that I will never see the doctor that did my first appointment, but will be sure to go and see Dr. Luecke until I deliver.  She is amazing, she delivered my daughter in 2003 and I wouldn't be able to say enough good about her.   

• Options

I've been going to Chesapeake Womens Care for over 5 years - this is the first time I'm using them for OB. However, I do really like them... there are doctors that I favor over others, but I am sure that I feel the same at any practice. Not all the doctors deliver either. I know that doctor that did my sonogram verification does not deliver. I usually see Dr. Russell and very much like her. I usually saw Dr. Wells and Dr. Luecke for my annuals and liked them both too.

I had to call them this morning due to severe cramping for the last 16-20 hours - and they were able to move around schedules and get me in this afternoon which made me feel a little less stressed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKeelyK109:

I think it depends on who you see.  I was very dissatisfied with my first appointment and told my husband that I may be going elsewhere.  I was more happy with my second appointment and now have appointments with my doctor of choice for the next three months.  I have to say that I will never see the doctor that did my first appointment, but will be sure to go and see Dr. Luecke until I deliver.  She is amazing, she delivered my daughter in 2003 and I wouldn't be able to say enough good about her.   

Dr Luecke delivered my son who was an emergency c-section and will be doing my c for this one on june 8, she's amazing. there are a couple of dr's there that I was grateful I didn't have during delivery but I feel like you take the good with the bad sometimes. 

• Options
    imageCooper81:
    imageanonsouthernbell:
    imageCooper81:

What was the review, I'm curious?  You are required to deliver at AAMC with a VBAC with Bay Area as well, but I figure my chances of a VBAC with them are higher than with CWC considering my past experience with them.

This was from a convo on FB.  Someone asked what was the favorite thing about their midwife and this is what this lady responded (Idk her):  "Hmmmm, was it when she scheduled me twice for a c-section for no reason and then scolded me for not showing up for them? Or was it when she threatened that my baby would die from being post-dates depsite the fact that the baby tested 100% o...k? Or maybe that time she told me the baby was too big from being post-dates and I would rupture and die if I tried to push her out? So many memorable ones to chose from. I think my favorite would be when i told the practice I would never be returning to them again after the birth of a perfectly healthy 42+3 days 8 pound baby girl. Thank you very little to Kimla Bay Area Midwifery."

• Options

well, my doc delivers at AAMC and I like her a lot. Dr. Theresa Buckson, Pavilion OBGYN. It is a small practice though-just her and another doctor, so if you are looking for a large practice where you rotate through all the docs it might not be for you.The downside to this of course, is your doctor might not be there to deliver your baby, which is what happened to me.

With DS, I went in for my first appt at about 8-9 weeks. She has an ultrasound machine in her office which she used to confirm the pregnancy right away, which was nice. She then had me go for a more detailed U/S to date the pregnancy which I did around 10 weeks, and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

She has a phlebotomist at her office so I never had to go to labcorp for blood draws, which was invaluable to me. She is young, smart, and funny and I really like her a lot.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Totally OT - sorry for the hijack but I wanted to end on a positive note...another woman wrote this:

"When she told me to reach down and pull my baby out myself. As if having a successful VBAC wasn't powerful enough already, being able to bring her onto my chest myself was indescribable. "

(Idk who her mw was as she didn't say nor did she say where she gave birth)

• Options
    I don't think Kimla actually does VBAC deliveries- so that is interesting... 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagedaisyterp:
    I don't think Kimla actually does VBAC deliveries- so that is interesting... 

I have no idea...it was posted on my Bradley instructor's fb page.  I don't know the woman personally.  Out of the two birth centers I have heard more disparaging remarks about VBACing at SB as this was the first time I heard a neg. comment about Bay Area.  But it is only 1 person's opinion and I am sure that there are others that would disagree :)

• Options
    I don't know about OB-but Bay Area Midwifery handled my first pregnancy and they were all fantastic. The midwife that delivered my son is no longer there unfortunately but i'm pretty sure jennifer is and she was fantastic. I would recommend them to anyone. My first pregnancy wasn't planned and I was young and very scared but they were very kind, patient and had no problems answering my questions late at night. They even spoke to my husband without me there a few times. 
  • Options

Hi Juli,

I delivered at AAMC. I was treated by the doctors and midwives at Annapolis OBGYN and loved Dr. Ballard. She was wonderful, took her time with me (did not push for c/s even though I was on pitocin for 20 hours and pushed for 3 hours), had a great sense of humor, and stopped by the next day to check on us before she left (even though her shift had ended).

It is a rotating practice, so you are not guarenteed a particular OB during delivery, but I liked most of the OBs there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageCamFam:

Hi Juli,

I delivered at AAMC. I was treated by the doctors and midwives at Annapolis OBGYN and loved Dr. Ballard. She was wonderful, took her time with me (did not push for c/s even though I was on pitocin for 20 hours and pushed for 3 hours), had a great sense of humor, and stopped by the next day to check on us before she left (even though her shift had ended).

It is a rotating practice, so you are not guarenteed a particular OB during delivery, but I liked most of the OBs there.

I also LOVED Dr. Ballard (and Dr. Greenly/Greely?) unfortunately in my experience some of the other OBs were less than desirable there. 

• Options

another vote for Dr. Theresa Buckson, Pavilion OBGYN. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"