Houston Babies
Options

How do I make it stop?

Both boys are driving me batty.  Every time I tell them no they have a full on melt down.  You would think they never heard "no" but it is the exact opposite.  Any ideas because I have hit my limit.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do I make it stop?

• Options
    We've been going through the same thing this week. Every "no" is met with a meltdown, complete with shrieking and throwing things. We've started making him go to his room and cool down. Eventually he settles down, and our hope is that he'll soon start to realize that his fits are not getting him what he wants. Tonight we're on trip #3 to his room since we got home at 5:30.
  • Options
    If you figure it out, let me know. Right now I resort to having a glass of wine after they go to bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hugs!!! I can't imagine how tough it is.  If you need some down time in the next week please let me know and I'm happy to have the boys over to play. 
  • Options
    imageAggieKristin:
    If you figure it out, let me know. Right now I resort to having a glass of wine after they go to bed.

We're supposed to wait until AFTER they go to bed? Oops.
    DD has been doing the same thing and it's driving me nuts. I wish I had an answer for you.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think there's any way to stop it completely. I have done the go to your room to cool down thing like Chrisbride says, and when DD was 2 it worked really well. It was not a punishment, I just carried her to her bed and said I want her to be comfortable while she's so upset and here's a stuffed animal and when you're calm you can come out. I didn't even shut the door, but she'd often get up and shut the door and get back in her bed!

But that doesn't work for us at 3.5, she just sees it as timeout. If I suggest it sometimes she takes a deep breath and calms down to avoid going to her room and other times it makes it even worse.

If they are both super cranky and getting into everything and driving me insane, the only way I know to stop it is for a complete change of scenery - take them outside, go to the park, even going to the grocery store or other errands.

- Jena
  • Options

It must be in the water.  My girls have been doing that this week.  My brain hurts.

We've been trying the go to your room thing.  It works a bit.  At least I don't have to listen to their screaming right next to me.

As much as I don't like to feel like I'm rewarding them for bad behavior, we tend to go with whatever is going to bring sanity and rest.  Park, sprinkler, etc.  Even if it's only for a couple minutes, it can help.

Hugs!  Hope it gets better.  And when it doesn't, remind yourself that Mark and I are having to clean out our attic today while the kids are running around and whining.  Fun times!  ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Up the ante? Explain that you are going to tell them no once (or twice). If they throw a fit, they go to their rooms. Every once in awhile no loses its effectiveness; this helps restore its meaning in our house.
  • Options
    Is there a full moon or something? It has been a crazy weekend around here and today had to have been my worst parenting day ever.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    add me to the list.  I think Joe is realizing baby is coming soon because he is testing EVERY boundary!  And he refuses to listen to me and is WHINING!  Time outs, losing toys, losing privileges, his room...  all of these things are in rotation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"