Health & Exercise

Cruches or presses on a ball?

I understand that at some point I need to stop exercising while lying on my back, so I'm wondering if that also applies to using a pilates ball (shoulders propped up on the ball, hips in the air).  Has anyone seen any literature/videos describing safe pilates ball exercises for the 2nd & 3rd tri?

Re: Cruches or presses on a ball?

• The ball is not a firm surface, which means it won't compress the arteries that lead to the uterus. Continue using it as long as you like.

For that matter, it's fine to be on your back for short periods (I've read exercising up to 3 minutes) all the way through. The "don't lie on your back" thing is very overblown. If it's a bad idea for you, you will feel bad - nauseous, light headed, or sick. If you feel okay, you and your baby are fine with that exercise.

I've mostly transitioned from free weights to machines over the last couple weeks. My balance and general core response is starting to get weird, so it seemed like it was time for me. Up to around 30 weeks, I just did my usual pre-pg lifting workouts at a lower intensity, adapting to not lie on my stomach once that got in the way.

• I did a few crunches on a ball today, and it doesn't hurt my back, but wondering if its ok for our bellies?  I'm only 23 weeks and just have a small bump but it already feels in the way.

I did sort of half crunches, more sitting up than fully reclining...they were pretty lame actually and not sure if its doing anything.  To be honest, I'm not even sure where my ab muscles are these days!  I hear they split at some point?  I don't want to damage them, but I'd like to keep a strong core so I can avoid back soreness as I get bigger.  Also seems like it'd help with labor & pushing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I did crunches on the ball until it just wasn't comfortable. Around 28 weeks?

Now, I do a lot of pelvic rocks on all fours. I definitely know where my abs are, and mine haven't separated much yet (knock on wood). Prenatal yoga is a great way to learn some pg-friendly core exercises.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"