Military Families

unique taxes question

anyone file married jointly for federal and then married seperately for state? I know my state allows it, as long as I do it paper and not electronically, but man this is confusing! DH's income doesn't get state taxed, but mine does...right? So I'm very frustrated right now! And we already sent in and recieved our federal tax return, so we can't even change that to help!

Re: unique taxes question

• We did the exact same thing! DH and I are now both residents of Texas, well he always has been and I did when he was deployed. I was a Minnesota resident. I was so confused when we did our taxes, but got it figured out. We filed electronically on taxslayer.com and just selected "married filing joint" for federal and I went back in and filed "married filing seperatley" for my state taxes. You said you have to do it by paper though, which is trickier. Is there anyway you could be able to do it electronically?
  • imageikastuart:
    We did the exact same thing! DH and I are now both residents of Texas, well he always has been and I did when he was deployed. I was a Minnesota resident. I was so confused when we did our taxes, but got it figured out. We filed electronically on taxslayer.com and just selected "married filing joint" for federal and I went back in and filed "married filing seperatley" for my state taxes. You said you have to do it by paper though, which is trickier. Is there anyway you could be able to do it electronically?

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! This stuff is tricky, and I definitely didn't make millions last year. I guess I'll send it in with the best I can do and if it's wrong, I'm sure they'll correct me eventually!

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, DH and I do that (I'm also in CT - we're probably neighbors. ;)  haha  I think he's just planning to take his to someone to do in person since we couldn't do them (the state taxes) online without it saying we owed over $400. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's how we did it.  Married filing jointly for federal and married filing separately for state.  I gave up doing them myself and we went to H&R Block.  They're tricky!
  • We do it that way too because we file for different states. We have the base tax center do them.  It makes it so much easier.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We've always done our state returns separately because our states of residency are different. I use Turbo Tax and have never had any problems filing electronically.
  • imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:
    We've always done our state returns separately because our states of residency are different. I use Turbo Tax and have never had any problems filing electronically.

This is true for us as well.  DHs state of residency has remained the same all along, but mine changed in 2010.  Yay for more taxes to fileConfused  I had to mail in my Virginia one this time around, but that was just because I was a partial year resident and there was a special form for that.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• There was a law recently passed that allows military spouses to claim the state of residency the service member claims on their taxes. We live in Virginia. Its my state of residency since I work in Virginia. My husbands state of residency is Texas. Since Texas has no state tax then I claim taxes for Texas.
  • The last poster is correct, you don't need to file for different states.  My husband is from Las Vegas and in NV they don't pay state taxes, so when we would do taxes we would use his address from Las Vegas even though I worked in Ohio and in Colorado.

• I did not read the other replies. You can file separate state and joint federal. OR, you can file jointly state and then just not declare his income because it is not subject to tax. In our state, DH's income is not taxed when he is serving out-of-state (training or deployed). You do not have to declare it and then justify why it is not taxable. It is not taxable income to the state, period. Hope that helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"