Military Families

military id ?

me and my ex ar obviously divorced and he wants my military id back...this would be fine but we have a 2 year old daughter who is covered on my ex's insurance policy...the doctor requires that i show the insurance card (military id) everytime she is seen at the doc and once again at walmart when i pick up a prescribtion...from what i have been told the army will not issue a id card to my daughter until she is 10 therefor i will need it for insurance purposed...we live in illinois and there is no army base for hundred of miles...he called the cops to get it back and of course i refused so they are looking up how to handle this situation

basically do i have to surrender the id and if so what will my daughter do for insurance since i have no way to prove she has any...on a side note my ex cant take her to get a id because he has supervised visits and if she is removed from the state it is considered kidnapping

Re: military id ?

• Your child is eligible for an ID card of her own because of the divorce. At least this is what I understood (Children under age 10 should have an ID card of their own when in the custody of a parent or guardian who is not eligible for TRICARE benefits or who is not the custodial parent after a divorce.) from this page:

https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=NJnRQbNgS7nTl1JMRJ22n3SNd1WGgRMvv6k8yxYGv2DyXnWcx2WJ!-1831376764?puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FEligibility%2FIDCards

PS - I found this same statement on about 6 or 7 other sites (each very official and branch specific, like army.mil, navy, national guard, air force, etc.) They all say the same thing, that children under the age of 10, in the custody of the non-military parent, are eligible for their own ID card.

I know you said he can't take her across state lines... perhaps you need to do so, and get this settled once and for all. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Give the I.D. back as soon as you can. Do you have a military base nearby? It doesn't matter what branch. The I.D. Is considered to be government property essentially, and you are not entitled to it anymore. It might be a hassle, but these are all things that should have been taken care ofnat the time of the divorce.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLissa832:
    Give the I.D. back as soon as you can. Do you have a military base nearby? It doesn't matter what branch. The I.D. Is considered to be government property essentially, and you are not entitled to it anymore. It might be a hassle, but these are all things that should have been taken care ofnat the time of the divorce.

This too. I would give it back to a military base, personally, not back to my ex. If anything happens to it, it's your butt, too. The card is gov't property. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You may be able to get her an ID at Scott Air Force Base. I looked briefly at their website but didn't see any phone numbers listed; perhaps a more extensive search will give you the information.

I agree with the other posters, you need to surrender the ID card as you are no longer entitled to hold it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGreenFlamingo7:

You may be able to get her an ID at Scott Air Force Base. I looked briefly at their website but didn't see any phone numbers listed; perhaps a more extensive search will give you the information.

I agree with the other posters, you need to surrender the ID card as you are no longer entitled to hold it.

Your ex will probably have to take her in to get her ID, but he can take her to any military post/base, it does not have to be done by his own branch, just any post that has a DEERS office. He also should look into getting an additional copy of her insurance card from TriCare. They're not as official as the mil IDs, but might do in a bad pinch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Take it back to the base not your ex. Technically it is illegal for him to have your ID. I would ask about the rules for you holding an ID. My mom had an ID still after my parents divorced because we still had appointments on base and she needed to take us. This may have changed since 97 though. Good Luck!
  • Go here to find a location near you that does ID cards:

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home

Your ex will have to fill out the application form, which I believe is DD 1172. He will have to sign it AND have it notarized or they won't accept it. Then you can take your daughter to get her own ID card and turn yours in.

• I know there is a Navy base at Great Lakes, if that is near you.  It's where basic is, so they have to have an ID office.  There is probably some paperwork your DH will have to fill out, so make a phone call to figure out what you need.
  • My kids both have their own just because of that.  If something happens BM can take them to the doctor when she has them.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We were having similar issues with my DSD(Dear Step-daughter).  At the DEERS office they printed a form saying DH gave permission for DSD to have an ID.  All we had to do was mail the form and have her taken to a local post/base to get her ID made.

If nothing else you can call tri-care and have them mail you either a card/letter saying your child is insured.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your doctor needs the card from Tricare, which Tricare should have sent one to your ex, not your military ID card.  We live over three hours away from a military post and we've used our drivers license and the Tricare insurance card and that worked fine.  They just need any form of ID and the insurance card from Tricare. Also you can get an ID card for your child, he will probably need to be with her when she gets it, since your ID card is really invaild because you are not married to him anymore and the card should be returned to the base.  Also ask him to call Tricare for another insurance card for you to use.
  • imagegucciman3:

me and my ex ar obviously divorced and he wants my military id back...this would be fine but we have a 2 year old daughter who is covered on my ex's insurance policy...the doctor requires that i show the insurance card (military id) everytime she is seen at the doc and once again at walmart when i pick up a prescribtion...from what i have been told the army will not issue a id card to my daughter until she is 10 therefor i will need it for insurance purposed...we live in illinois and there is no army base for hundred of miles...he called the cops to get it back and of course i refused so they are looking up how to handle this situation

basically do i have to surrender the id and if so what will my daughter do for insurance since i have no way to prove she has any...on a side note my ex cant take her to get a id because he has supervised visits and if she is removed from the state it is considered kidnapping

Your ex husband is in the Army right? Well my husband and I are both inthe Army and he has a son from a previous relationship who does not live with us the majority of the time. The way we handle this issue (and how his unit should be telling him to handle it) is to have your ex do an Agent Letter. This letter states that his child is his dependant and that his child is not living with him but designates another person rights to military bases,medical facilities, etc. Your daughter will need to get her own id and yes she can get one under the age of ten (our ss has had one for years and he is 7). The agent letter would need to be signed by his commander and must be renewed every year. If you want the format for the paperwork I can send it to you. My email is ekarnes7 at yahoo.com.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• You can take your child to ANY military installation that has a DEERS center. You need to turn in your ID asap, and get her one. Your ex does not need to be present for this, if your daughter is currently enrolled in DEERS then they will give you an ID card no questions asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"