School-Aged Children
Options

Is May (end of school year activities) bittersweet for you?

Last year, DD was in public PreK.  This year she is in KG.  I remember in May almost losing it and crying for some during the end of school program.  They sang the Mickey Mouse (orginal) clubhouse song:  "now its times to say goodbye, to all our company..." Yep, almost lost it.  Definately, tears....same with the end of the school year letters from the teacher (there were a few signaling the end of the school year), pre-registation/auto-enroll form to the next grade and then we have our dance recital (end of spring activities).  It was a busy month and a very bittersweet month.  Is it like this for everyone?  Does it get better with time?  I told this to a co-worker and she is a mom of one (18 mo old) and she said, "oh its just because you are getting older."  Maybe. But I think its more that THEY are getting older.  IDK.  Just curious what everyones thoughts were...Or I am I just the only crazy : )

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is May (end of school year activities) bittersweet for you?

• Options
    K was rough as it was a big year being in school for the first time and then it was over and moving on. After that though, I was fine but yeah, I don't think it's the age of the mom, it's the kids getting older. I did get a little sad when my oldest went from elementary to middle (5-6) last year so I guess when he transitions to a new school again to high school, it might be hard a little. I'll probably lose it again when he graduates high school.
  • Options

I really had a hard time last year at the end of preschool because it was my youngest kid's last year, and I was saying goodbye to an institution that had been a big part of my life for 5 years.  I knew I'd be returning to teaching this year, and that I would not be as involved in my son's K classroom as I was with his preschool.

My older kid will be leaving elementary school this year, having her grade 5 "graduation" etc.  As kids get older, they have more work at the end of the year, and those last days of recitals, performances, programs, concerts, and projects become more burdensome.  With my 5th grader, I'm usually just relieved that we both get a break from school for the summer.  So, I'd say that this time of year does get less "bittersweet" as the child gets older. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

All I feel at the end of school is relief!  I always end up over-involving myself in the year-end parties -- when they're done I'm just ready to crash. 

But I know that feeling, I go through that at the beginning of the year.  I cry at back-to-school shopping, I cry at orientation, and I cry on the first day. 

• Options

I guess you could say it's bittersweet for me too. I feel kind of sad for the kids to say goodbye to the friends that they don't really stay in contact with over the summer. Plus, I feel a little anxiety about the fact that it will be summer time and I will have all three home with me. I am trying to plan alot more activities  this summer. I said that last summer but still felt like I could have been more organized. I get happy at the fact that the girls will all be together and we won't have to wake up soo early or be on a tight schedule since school is out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think KG will be bittersweet again.  They're really not our babies anymore.  It was a big year of firsts, so I'll be sad to see it end. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"