Military Families

New military wife and expecting my 1st

I'm hoping that some of you may have answers to a few of my questions.  I am 18 weeks pregnant and expecting my first.  My husband is currently in Navy bootcamp, been there for 2 1/2 weeks.  I have had no communication with him since he first arrived there.  I type A and have to have everything planned and organized, and not knowing what is going on or what may happen is literally driving me crazy.  So I'm hoping maybe some of you may know the answers to my questions.   

Will I be able to go with him to A school?  My husband said that his recruiter told him that I would be able to go with him, but I'm starting to hear different things now.  

If so, where he will be stationed for A school there is no naval hospital.  The closest military hospital is about 30 miles away.  Would I be able to deliver at that hospital or would I have to go to a private hospital?  

If I could deliver at this other military hospital, would it be smart to since it is 30 miles away.  Will I have enough time to get there?  Or should I just choose a private hospital that will be closer to us?

Thank you so much.  

Re: New military wife and expecting my 1st

• Don't worry if you don't hear from him, he's quite busy right now :)

As far as where A school will be, that is totally dependent on what his job will be in the navy.  My husband's A school happened to be in Great Lakes, so he just stayed there after boot camp.

Whether you'll be able to accompany him to A school is dependent on how long the school is, the longer the school, the more likely you will be able to. That is something that the navy should let him know sometime during boot camp.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you!  He will be up in Great Lakes for an addition 5 weeks after he graduates for training before A school, then his A school is 5 months.  I'm anxious to find out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Regarding the hospital ... do you have Tricare Prime or Standard?

We live 45 minutes away from our base and military treatment facility, but because it is within 50 minutes they will not give me a referral to the private hospital that is 5 minutes from my house (I have Prime). 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have no idea.  I actually just got the Tricare paperwork in the mail today.  How would I find that out?
  • I would call Tricare and figure out whether your on Prime or Standard. As far as driving the 30 miles to the nearest MTF I wouldn't do it. You are not going to want to be driving that far while your in active labor. I'm assuming that you are probably on Prime and I would ask them if they would refer you to the hospital that is closest to you. If they won't you should switch to Standard. You will have to pay a percentage of the costs of your visits. But under Global Maternity all of your baby related appointments will be covered 100% as well as all well baby visits. We have been on it for about 7 months and so far I have only had to pay for $60 of an appointment for my son that was not well baby and $90 for allergy testing. I would just call and see what your options are.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • imagejlawhun:
    I have no idea.  I actually just got the Tricare paperwork in the mail today.  How would I find that out?

My husband is in bootcamp right now at Great Lakes as well. When I got the paperwork I asked his recruiter where the closest Tricare office was and went down there to talk to them. I was put on standard until April 1st then I will be on prime. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It depends on how long his school is.  I cannot remember how long it has to be before families can move there.  Honestly, I don't think 30 miles away is too far as long as that distance doesn't include a ton of traffic.  I have had 3 kids.  With my first I had to drive about 30-40 minutes to get to the hospital, my third it was about 20-30 minutes but we also had to make a stop for water (I was in Germany and didn't want the carbonated water).  That was even after my water already broke.  It wasn't a big deal.  Some kids can come really fast (my oldest I was at the hospital only 3 hours before she was born) but IMO you should have enough time to drive 30 miles.  I am sure if it is an absolute emergency you could go to the closer one, though you would have to check on that to be 100%.  If you want you can choose Standard and go to the hospital closer but for me, I would not do that based off of only that distance.  
  • pretty sure that they automatically enroll you into Prime, and if you don't like it you have to switch it to Standard. If you end up living somewhere far away from a military hospital then personally I would switch. I'm not sure what the distance-limit is, but I know there is one. Something like if you're more than 50 miles away from a military hospital they'll refer you to a different closer one? But I'm not sure, you'll have to check out that paper work.

And yeah, if youget to go with him to his next school will depend on how long it is. Which he probably won't know for a while, welcome to the waiting game. ;-) the military is hard on us A-types lol, as we hardly ever have any info as soon as we'd like it.

• imageMozzy24:

pretty sure that they automatically enroll you into Prime, and if you don't like it you have to switch it to Standard. If you end up living somewhere far away from a military hospital then personally I would switch. I'm not sure what the distance-limit is, but I know there is one. Something like if you're more than 50 miles away from a military hospital they'll refer you to a different closer one? But I'm not sure, you'll have to check out that paper work.

And yeah, if youget to go with him to his next school will depend on how long it is. Which he probably won't know for a while, welcome to the waiting game. ;-) the military is hard on us A-types lol, as we hardly ever have any info as soon as we'd like it.

I was automatically enrolled in Standard.  If I wanted to switch to Prime (which I didn't because I already had established care providers in the area) I would have had to fill out an application.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"