Houston Babies

PTing regression.

If your kiddo regressed with PTing, how long did it last and what did you do to get them back on track, if anything?

E. just turned 3 in February and she's been having lots and lots of accidents recently.  She trained very easily right at 2.5 years old.  I'd say her frequent accidents started about 2 months ago. Now it's as if our day wouldn't be complete without her peeing in her pants in a public place.  I'm frustrated but I'm trying to be patient.  It's really not poop so much as it is peeing.  She goes through several changes of clothing a day.  I prompt her as much as I can, but it's a battle to get her to go potty. 

She's always been my easy child.  I'm eating my words now!  Overnight she's become the most willful stubborn child.  I remember Sarah being super difficult at this same age.  Ugh.  I really don't like age 3.  For us it's been the least fun age of the preschool/toddler years.

Re: PTing regression.

• Oh goodness, we've had so many regressions and O is now 4.  I don't think we'll stop having accidents until he's old enough for his friends to make fun of him.  So I feel you.

The majority of O's accidents are due to him not wanting to stop playing to go.  Then once he has one accident, he has another, and another, and a vicious cycle begins.  Patience is hard because it's frustrating.

One thing we make clear is that if we're out in public and he has an accident we have to go home.  It's particularly devastating for him if we're doing something he really enjoys.  When we show up we make it clear that there are pottys for him to use and if he still poops/pees himself than we're leaving.  The other thing we do is not trust him when he says he doesn't have to go.  I've been burned so many times asking him and him saying no and then him having an accident.  So we do forced potty breaks.  If he's doing any sort of dance or if it's just been a while he has to try to go.  

Other than that we wait it out.  It usually only lasts about a week and every time we come through it I cross my fingers that it's last time.   

• Ugh, O sounds just like Sarah at that same age!  When does he turn 5?  Sarah will be 5 in June and she's finally grown out of the worst of it.  I can remember feeling like she'd never be 100% trained. 

With both girls I've been burned so many times too, asking them if they need to go.  I'm beginning to think it will just have to be something E. grows out of, because right now she doesn't seem to care when she wets her pants.  Yesterday  it happened at the children's museum and of course we had to leave.  Luckily it was at the end of our visit rather than right when we arrived, so no tears were shed.

• Loading the player...
  • Amelia did it too!  I took all of her panties away and gave her plain white ones.  I also gave her boring pullups for bed time and she had to earn the princess panties and pullups back by going accident free for an entire week.  She earned them back the first week and we haven't had an accident since.  I wanted to rip all of my hair out with frustration because of it, but thankfully she's back on board.  Good luck!!!
  • imageKKMMex:

Ugh, O sounds just like Sarah at that same age!  When does he turn 5?  Sarah will be 5 in June and she's finally grown out of the worst of it.  I can remember feeling like she'd never be 100% trained. 

With both girls I've been burned so many times too, asking them if they need to go.  I'm beginning to think it will just have to be something E. grows out of, because right now she doesn't seem to care when she wets her pants.  Yesterday  it happened at the children's museum and of course we had to leave.  Luckily it was at the end of our visit rather than right when we arrived, so no tears were shed.

I've always thought Orion and Sarah would make great friends.  His current best friend is an almost 5 year old girl.  He just turned 4 so we have a whole year before 5.  

I used to have such an idealistic view of potty training.  I thought you take a week or two, maybe a month, to teach them how it works and then it's done.  Little did I know...

• They would love each other.  They could take turns bossing one another around.  It would be hilarious!

Yes, I never knew what a "process" PTing is.  And just when one child finally gets it, it's time to train the next one!  With the rate we're going, it will take four years for both of them to finally be 100% trained. :(((

• I could have written your post. Madeline was perfect for weeks - perfect - and then all the sudden she wiil.not.go in the potty to save her life. I can usually get her to go right when she wakes up, but that is it. 

My sweet little girl who always told me when she needed to go and almost 100% of the time actually made it there on time now doesn't tell me at all ... doesn't even try to make it to the bathroom and won't tell me once she is already done. She doesn't care at all that she is wet. It started with pee, and now she is back to pooping in her pants as well. GRRRRRRR.  She is so stubborn.  And I can not trust her when she says no, but then if I do put her on the potty she won't go.

I'm going to start over at square one probably this weekend.  I'm so frustrated and she knows it and doesn't care.

Good luck!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"