Maryland Babies

What are training underpants?

And did you find them to be helpful when potty training?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: What are training underpants?

• If you're talking about what I'm thinking of, they're plastic underpants that go over regular underpants.  They allow the child to feel when they've wet or messed their underwear but it contains the mess, which is helpful in a daycare or public setting.  A friend used them and found them helpful.  It allowed her to potty train her daughter while still being able to go out in public without concern that a mess would occur on a restaurant or store floor.

I potty trained during the blizzards of 2010 when we were stuck at home for awhile, so I didn't have a need for them.  Even when we started going out in public I just made sure to always have a plastic bag, a pair of underwear and backup pants and some baby wipes in my purse.  If she had an accident while we were out we went to the nearest restroom, put the wet clothes into the bag, wiped her up and put dry stuff on.  

Our daycare provider (at the time) was fairly neurotic and paranoid about my daughter having an accident on her carpet and threatened to require the plastic training pants.  Thankfully we never reached that point because my daughter took to it well, but if you're using DC, that may be a concern for them as well. 

• FIA- I remember that issue with your DC and I still think it's crazy.  If someone is going to have a daycare maybe they need to be prepared for accidents to happen.  Even older kids have them from time to time.  Angry 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto FIA-  There are also training pants that are underwear w/ a waterproof cover on them- making it just one piece that needs to be removed, and there are training underwear that just has a much thicker crotch and aren't waterproof (Hanna Anderson sells these- since they aren't waterproof the kids can wear them as underwear as well- even after they know how to use the potty.) 

Training pants are basically what pull-ups are based on and far more effective in my opinion- since most pull-ups feel just like diapers and a lot of kids just continue to poop and pee in them like they are in a diaper.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For potty training, we just went from diapers to underwear. DD has never had an accident. She decided one day to do it, and that was that.  I don't think I could handle buying an interim thing for a few weeks, but that is just me and we used cloth diapers, so maybe that was the difference. Although she didn't train earlier than average, she did it quickly in like a day or two. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are 2 different kinds of training pants - some are just super thick cotton underpants so if your LO wets it, they will feel wet, but most of the pee will be contained.  The others are very thick cotton underpants surrounds by a plastic cover - adn does the same thing w/ absorbency, but is even less messy.  I tried them a month or so ago and DD just went ahead and peed in them (and maybe pooped?) and really wasn't phased by it at all so we went back to regular diapers. 

She's back in diapers now, but I'll try again w/ underpants in another month or so. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageweezie825:
    FIA- I remember that issue with your DC and I still think it's crazy.  If someone is going to have a daycare maybe they need to be prepared for accidents to happen.  Even older kids have them from time to time.  Angry 

Ugh, I know.  That woman was BSC.  She was anal about the cleanliness of her home and had it on the market, so the two combined with having an in-home daycare made for a flippin' nightmare.  Mia had one single accident there and I thought the DCP's head was going to explode.  She kept stammering on about how she couldn't have that happening, it was a risk for the other children.  I finally snapped "good Lord, have you never had a child attending DC who's potty training?  accidents happen!"  She was a disaster.

To the OP, I did forget about the thicker underwear-type training pants, which is surprising since we did use those a lot.  As other posters have said they're styled like underwear but are thicker in the crotch to help contain a little mess.  Even once we were done with PTing, DD was able to wear them as regular underwear. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"