2nd Trimester

Best type of 'coming home' outfit for baby??

This is best answered by 2nd time moms or those who've been given advice by them already.

Why style outfit is most convenient for a 'take home' outfit from the hospital? 

I'd like to get one adorable outfit specifically for this purpose, but I want to make sure it's practical first!

Re: Best type of 'coming home' outfit for baby??

• Go with the full one-peice style. I know there are cuter options in pant/shirt sets, but one peice stays in place and keeps the umbilical cord (or stump, i guess it is) covered. Find something super soft and cute of course! And despite what people say, unless you are expecting to have at LEAST a 10 lb baby, go with newborn size. It will probably only fit for a few weeks. But they curl up into nothing those first few weeks and it's nice to have it actually fit. :) Oh and if you are caucasian avoid red. Baby will probably be pretty rosy and it may not be the most flattering in all the pictures you are sure to take. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Practicality...

Something that has two legs, so they can fit into a car seat (basically, anything but a sleep sack).  Also, nothing too fluffy, as those kinds of outfits should be avoided in a car seat as well.  Get the outfit in NB size.  Trust me, it will fit despite how small it looks.

That's all I've got.  DS went home in PJs.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a dress for DD to come home in, size NB, and it completely swallowed her, lol!  And I ended up covering her up with a blanket anyway, because the dress was sleeveless.  My logic was, it was the height of summer in Florida and she wouldn't be too cold...well, duh, she's not going to be sunbathing, she'll be going from the air-conditioned hospital to the air conditioned car to an air conditioned house.  *facepalm*

I agree with PP.  Something in a one-piece option would be great to prevent irritation of the umbilical cord stump (remember, you'll be sticking baby into a car seat and the harness may tweak the stump when you go over bumps), and it can't hurt to try to choose something that'll flatter baby's skin tone.  And definitely try to find the smallest size you can, because those baby clothes always look tiny when they're on the hanger, but you'll be amazed at how big they are compared to a newborn!  =)

// I love you too. //

• Something seasonally appropriate and something you will actually want to put on them later.  DD was born in February and we had a cute sleep and play with a matching hat for her take home outfit.  It was one of the few newborn sized outfits we had for her too.  I'll probably save it for her and not use it for my other babies too.  Funny enough, it seemed to be a popular choice with other little girls we know born around the same time.

For this one, since it will be summer I'll probably find a cute onsie outfit to bring him/her home in.  They just ride home in the car in it.  You'll take some pictures before you leave the hospital and when you get home but there's really no reason to get them all dolled up.  It's sort of anti-climatic, LOL!

• We used a fleece button up sleeper and a little shirt underneath. It was December though. He had a little hat on and a blanket to cover the carseat until we got in the car. 
  • I have a question myself; my baby is due in July so it will be pretty hot outside. I know he won?t be outside at all but it will also be hot in the car for a while until we get it cooled down. I was told that even though he?s being born in the summer, he should still have a new born cap for on his head and still dress relatively warm, is this true? I was thinking he would want like a short sleeved onesie or something since it will be summer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Something simple and comfy.  Many people get an adorable outfit, which is great.  My choice is a simple onesie or sleeper.  Watch out for sizes too - the outfit we got for DD was too big for her.  I expected a large baby (being not so small myself) and came out with a peanut.  Thus we ended up with a sleeper (and a large coat - it was winter).

• My family always did big floofie dresses for girls and suits for boys for the take-home outfit (always hand made in several different sizes, just to ensure one would fit, lol). I was told with my first to get a size 0-3 months for him...-.- Never shall I make that mistake again. Try fitting 0-3 month sized clothes on a 5lb 13 oz baby (Where did the baby go?! O_O). Lmao.

What we ended up putting on him was a onsie we bought in a premie size (he stayed in premie sizes for a couple months) right there at the hospital and got a matching cap for it (it was white with little yellow duckies all over). It didn't look that extravegant in the pictures, but the simplicity just seemed to make him look so much more innocent and tiny and sweet than he would have in the suit. And then we secured him in the car seat, piled on the blankets, and rushed him to the nice warm car (being November in NNY it was fairly cold, lol).

• as far as hot car, dh had our car running while loading all our stuff up.  THEN we went outside.  The car will be in the loading/unloading area of the hospital.  It's not like you'll be walking out to the parking lot where the car has been sitting for a few days.

I would say some sort of one piece comfortable outfit/sleeper.  newborn size.  They do curl up a lot.

• bare minimum for the weather--for summer, maybe a onesie/shorts or a dress. DS went home in a Razorback oncesie (H is a huge fan) and jeans--along with Razorback booties and hat.
  • I would get something in a NB size and another outfit in a 0-3 depending on how big the baby is.  If you're not too familiar with changing a baby then I would go with button-up/zip-up pajamas. 

In the beginning I was so scared of handling her head and neck, I had visions of her head popping off if I was too rough (I'm exaggerating but you catch my drift)  A button up gets you away from having to put anything over hear head.  You can practice that at home when you don't have an audience of family members watching your every move.

• Raquel will be wearing her Halloween dinosaur costume in all of the pictures, but just the green onesie with legs in the car.  We called bother her and Bryce Reptar before we knew the sex, so it has become this giant joke with our family and friends.

Dinosaur Costume

BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• I haven't read the other responses - but make sure you can strap your baby into your carseat in said outfit.  I bought the cutest little sleep sack from Serena & Lily for DS to bring him home in.  Except it was a sack, and it would not work at all.  We brought him home in a onsie with the hospital name on the front of it.  I can laugh now, but I was so bummed!
  • We used fleece footed pajamas, DS was born in Nov.

DS had to be hospitalized after he was born which was a complete shock to us.   So we didn't get to bring him home for a week.  It was so incredible to see him in an outfit that didn't belong to the hospital.  Your baby will look cute no matter what you put him/her in so I say go with comfort for the baby.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A one piece jammy type outfit - nothing too fancy. And no footed PJ's! Our coming home outfit for DS was a footed pajama, except he had to wear his ankle bracelet/lojack thing until we got the the exit downstairs which didn't work well with footed PJ's, so we had to pretty much undress him from the waist down when we got downstairs so they could verify he was ours and remove his anklet.

ETA: And ditto on NB size unless you think LO will be pretty large. Granted, our guy was a peanut (about 6 lbs when we left the hospital) but even NB was swimming on him so the 0-3 I'd bought for a coming home outfit was utterly ridiculous on him. It didn't fit him correctly until he was over 2 months old.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • imagedeftonesangels:

I have a question myself; my baby is due in July so it will be pretty hot outside. I know he won?t be outside at all but it will also be hot in the car for a while until we get it cooled down. I was told that even though he?s being born in the summer, he should still have a new born cap for on his head and still dress relatively warm, is this true? I was thinking he would want like a short sleeved onesie or something since it will be summer.

All of the info I've heard is to dress a baby as you would be dressed. Our LO never wore a hat outside of the hospital once he was born (in late June). My MIL kept saying he needed a hat, more layers, etc., but he clearly wasn't cold so I just kept him in jammies/onesies most of the summer and he was fine. I did do long sleeved/legged pajamas leaving the hospital and when we were home in A/C all day.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • imagelosmitty:
    Go with the full one-peice style. I know there are cuter options in pant/shirt sets, but one peice stays in place and keeps the umbilical cord (or stump, i guess it is) covered. Find something super soft and cute of course! And despite what people say, unless you are expecting to have at LEAST a 10 lb baby, go with newborn size. It will probably only fit for a few weeks. But they curl up into nothing those first few weeks and it's nice to have it actually fit. :) Oh and if you are caucasian avoid red. Baby will probably be pretty rosy and it may not be the most flattering in all the pictures you are sure to take. :)

I agree with this post! I had a super cute two peice outfit picked out, and ended up with a fuzzy 1 peice sleeper instead for all the above reasons. (it was also December so temperature was an issue as well.)

**Also agree with the need for Newborn stuff, not lots just a couple things that aren't SUPER big.

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely a NB size one piece of some sort.  I'd say given when we're due short sleeves would be ok. I'm not sure I'd go for a short romper or bubble for a really small baby though. Imagining their skinny little legs poking out makes me uncomfortable. lol.

There are lots of cute romper options for both sexes.

Ds came home in this. I think it was 70 degrees that day.

sleeper

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"