Houston Babies
Options

Am I just clueless?

Several mothers in my playgroup have gone to pre-school visits for their kids for the fall.  It hadn't even crossed my mind to do.  Some have even registered and got up to wait in line at 4am just to make sure they got a spot.  What am I missing?  DD will be 3 in the middle of September.  I know she will be one of the older kids in her class when she starts kindergarten so I guess I am wondering if she needs to spend several years in preschool because if she started this fall that would be 3 years of preschool before K.  To me that just seems excessive and strange. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Am I just clueless?

• Options
    Some people just choose not to do preschool, or maybe just do it for 1 or 2 years. That doesn't make it excessive or strange to do more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Eh different folks, different strokes.  If you don't see a need for preschool then don't do it, lots of people don't.  I don't think it's in any way "mandatory."

FWIW, my DH did get up and stand in line at 4am a year ago to assure Cooper got a spot in our top choice school.  But, he's there all day 5 days a week because I work full-time so maybe that's a little different.  He was first in line, the second person got there about 5 minutes after him.  A few people behind them in line were making fun of them for being there at 4am, but their kids didn't get in.  Wink
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't mean to offend with the "excessive or strange" comment or really any of this.  Where I grew up and how I always knew things it was 1 maybe 2 years at most of preschool.  I guess I have no clue what things are like now that that is why it seems strange to me and why I am asking if I am clueless and need to get on the ball. 

It probably is different b/c I am still home (by default) and money being so tight I can't justify spending lots of money when I know there are good options that are not super pricey.  It just reminds me of NY where people get their unborn kids on waiting lists for preschools that are 30K a year.

Like I said, I have no clue and just want to make sure I am not short changing DD.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Agree with different strokes...

But to let you know you aren't alone: So far neither of my girls have done MDO or preschool.  They are very social and know everything they need to know at their age and more.  You aren't shortchanging her.  Sometimes it is a little more work to get the social stuff in or to get the teaching stuff in, but it's totally doable.  And I'm with you -- I didn't want them in school for so many years. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I put both mine in MDO/preschool programs when they were really young, but that was more for me than for them. 

I SAH also and I have two children born 21 months apart. I really needed the childcare help when DD#2 was born.  Fortunately we could afford it and for that I'm very thankful.

While there are lots of preschools in The Woodlands, I wanted the girls to attend one that followed Conroe ISD's schedule to the letter, offered a car line option, and one with a longer day.  Although I didn't have to stand in line at 4:30 am, I would have if I'd needed to, in order to get the girls into their school. This coming fall I'll have one in public kindergarten and one in preschool so our costs will go down considerably!

• Options
    imageKKMMex:

I put both mine in MDO/preschool programs when they were really young, but that was more for me than for them. 

I SAH also and I have two children born 21 months apart. I really needed the childcare help when DD#2 was born.  Fortunately we could afford it and for that I'm very thankful.

Ditto the above for the most part! Mine are 2 years apart. The older one started MDO two days a week at 22 months, and I'm sure his little brother will too. I honestly need a break to keep sane, and he adores school. At this age, it's so focused on fun. If he didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't do it since I stay at home.  

• Options

I find it excessive and strange to stand in line for just about ANYTHING at 4am. That is insane. But it's the school that makes it that way, not the parents. I reserve my spot my phone or email. Much easier to send an email at 4am if necessary.

For a fall birthday kid, I would not send them to preschool with the kids that will be a year ahead of her. She'd then have to see all her friends move on and leave her behind. That would suck. If you really want to send her for 3 years (which is fine, but not necessary IMO), then I would send her to a place that starts the Sept 1 cut-off at a young age so that she would move up with the same group of kids and not get left behind. Or plan on moving her to a different preschool at some point so she doesn't repeat the same stuff or feel left behind.

- Jena
  • Options
    I didn't put DS in until this year and he will be in K next year.  I didn't really see a need for him to be in more than that.  We do lots of activities together and I work with him alot, also as a SAHM I couldn't really justify the expense of several years of preschool. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

We did 2 years of MDO (twice a week) and 2 years of preschool (2 days a week last year and 3 days a week this year). K started MDO at 17 months.

I think NO preschool before kinder is not a good thing....in my opinion, kids NEED the experience of being in a structured environment AWAY from mommy for several consecutive hours where there are rules/restrictions....but I think it's perfectly fine to do it JUST the year right before kinder.

Though for me personally, I went the route I did because I have a business that I needed to run, so I needed that time away from her to work.

She has enjoyed every second of it, and I am SO glad I went the route I did.

I am a MDO/preschool advocate for sure!

• Options
    imageKKMMex:

This, except mine are 14 months apart and I home office and work an off schedule.  Mine go 3 days a week now (we started with 2).  We are going to do PreK at the MDO starting at age 4. 

• Options
    imageCallMeKel:

I think NO preschool before kinder is not a good thing....in my opinion, kids NEED the experience of being in a structured environment AWAY from mommy for several consecutive hours where there are rules/restrictions....but I think it's perfectly fine to do it JUST the year right before kinder.

I actually do agree with this.  Especially if you are planning on enrolling your child in a traditional Kinder setting, or want them to at some point.

However, I have found, for us, that Mia gets that through Sunday school/church (at least 2-3 hours weekly with a teacher that is NOT me, I'm adament about that, every Sunday) and dance classes,among other things (MOPS, Bible Study classes with childcare).  I want her to know that she has to listen to rules that are not given by us.  But as I said before, it is definitely difficult to find these situations.

And actually... she is much better in those situations than with me.  Stick out tongue

I'm not anti-mdo or preschool.  I have longingly looked at places.  It just hasn't been right for our family. 

• Options
    I am a teacher and my daughter did not go to preschool. (My sister kept her until she started Kindergarten) She adjusted very well and was very quickly one of the best readers in her class.  Socialization is important but as far as adjusting to a structured classroom setting- I believe it is based on the individual child. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageCallMeKel:

We did 2 years of MDO (twice a week) and 2 years of preschool (2 days a week last year and 3 days a week this year). K started MDO at 17 months.

Though for me personally, I went the route I did because I have a business that I needed to run, so I needed that time away from her to work.

She has enjoyed every second of it, and I am SO glad I went the route I did.

I am a MDO/preschool advocate for sure!

I agree that at least one year before kinder is important if she will be going to a regular kindergarten.

M has been in several years of preschool because she loves to learn so I'll pay the extra money to have her in a setting where she is challenged all day while i'm at work rather than one where she isn't.  I don't have the option of MDO - she is in school or daycare all day long 5 days a week - so I want it to be good, nurturing time.

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"