Babies on the Brain

Fertile Myrtle

Does the phrase "Fertile Myrtle" bother anyone else? It just sounds so... shudder inducing.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fertile Myrtle

• Yes.

It really bothered me when someone called me that when I got KU with TLF. Not what I wanted to hear, seeing how being fertile didn't get me anywhere with Jilly. 

JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it just sounds weird.  I wonder who first came up with that and how.  Was someone teasing someone else named Myrtle and was like, " haha Myrtle, you're so ... fertile?"
  • Where did that phrase even come from?
    Warning: Bring Your Own Tissues...
    imageimageimage Sushi Sister to Meg 'n' Eric
    "I love glitterfarts and pregnant unicorns." ~ Tim'sWifey
    "Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, a natural thing, and how dare you degrade it with your yuppie wanna be rapper and his rhymes." ~ Melaneigh
    "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut afterwards." Benjamin Franklin
  • ::VOM::

My mother used the phrase all.the.time. to describe herself to strangers. "Oh what beautiful girls you have" "OH why THANKYOU. I'm just a Fertile Myrtle and when we conceived each of them IN LOVE we were just so absolutely blessed. You konw, because I'm a Fertile Myrtle. Did you hear that girls? Your mom and dad loved you SO much they made babies each time they tried to! One day you'll grow up to make babies with your husbands too!" 

I wanted to die.  

imageimageimage
  • imageChatham2007:
    Where did that phrase even come from?

Myrtle Duggar.  Jim Bob's great great great great great grandmother. 

• No it doesn't bother me. It's just a silly saying......And I don't know, but I am guessing, it probably came about because Myrtle is like the only name that rhymes with fertile......

just like eager-beaver, or lucky duck, or bee's knees....I don't think that beavers are all that eager, and I don't know of any ducks that are especially lucky.....and I'm pretty sure that bee's don't have knees. They are all just expressions that rhyme, no real meaning behind them..... 

• Hate it.  A lot.
  • imageNavyClan:

::VOM::

My mother used the phrase all.the.time. to describe herself to strangers. "Oh what beautiful girls you have" "OH why THANKYOU. I'm just a Fertile Myrtle and when we conceived each of them IN LOVE we were just so absolutely blessed. You konw, because I'm a Fertile Myrtle. Did you hear that girls? Your mom and dad loved you SO much they made babies each time they tried to! One day you'll grow up to make babies with your husbands too!" 

I wanted to die.  

Indifferent

I'm sorry.

• Not sure of the origins but interesting tidbit:

Fertile Myrtle was a b-29 bomber in service from 1959-1969 when it was retired and eventually restored and put in a museaum. It had a stork painted on the side and I believe the stork was delivering bombs or baby bombers.

• imagebuckin:

Not sure of the origins but interesting tidbit:

Fertile Myrtle was a b-29 bomber in service from 1959-1969 when it was retired and eventually restored and put in a museaum. It had a stork painted on the side and I believe the stork was delivering bombs or baby bombers.

Fertile Myrtle delivers baby bombs. I don't know why that makes me giggle a little, lol.

Leslie, thank you, I just snorted diet coke out of my nose.

Warning: Bring Your Own Tissues...
    imageimageimage Sushi Sister to Meg 'n' Eric
    "I love glitterfarts and pregnant unicorns." ~ Tim'sWifey
    "Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, a natural thing, and how dare you degrade it with your yuppie wanna be rapper and his rhymes." ~ Melaneigh
    "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut afterwards." Benjamin Franklin
  • imageleslie13510:

imageChatham2007:
    Where did that phrase even come from?

Myrtle Duggar.  Jim Bob's great great great great great grandmother. 

bahaha.  

imageimageimage
  • It doesn't bother me, but in my whackadoo mind, I always think of the plant Crepe Myrtle as if the plant has something to do with fertility, like an herbal supplement.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Yes. My mother used to call me that. I did not like it at all.
  • Yup, especially when it comes from your mother after your second m/c describing "your genes" since you know, all she and my dad had to do was look at each other...

Put that's over - Now I just get reminded how pitocin didn't work for her at all and even after my doc reminded her it's not her uterus she still insists that I'm going to have a horrible induction.

I'm sorry, did I get off track?  =/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • imageTheMrs923:

Yup, especially when it comes from your mother after your second m/c describing "your genes" since you know, all she and my dad had to do was look at each other...

Put that's over - Now I just get reminded how pitocin didn't work for her at all and even after my doc reminded her it's not her uterus she still insists that I'm going to have a horrible induction.

I'm sorry, did I get off track?  =/

This reminds me of my mother.  Very little about her ever bugs me, but when she spouts off about how she doesn't understand why anyone would need to "Try" to have a baby and doesn't that take the fun out of it, I want to strangle her.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • it gives me the douche chills.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• imageHappyAardvark:
    it gives me the douche chills.

"Douche Chills"

I have to remember that. 

• Hate it.

However, my girdle is named Myrtle.  Myrtle the girdle.  She makes jersey knit dresses possible.

Photobucket Anniversary
  • I find it kind of weird that I posted that in my first post ever... and find it on here as a "hate" thread. I didn't realize it would offend anyone, sorry :(

My mom had just said it to me once... guess I'll never say it again :)

• imageTigger9662:

No it doesn't bother me. It's just a silly saying......And I don't know, but I am guessing, it probably came about because Myrtle is like the only name that rhymes with fertile......

just like eager-beaver, or lucky duck, or bee's knees....I don't think that beavers are all that eager, and I don't know of any ducks that are especially lucky.....and I'm pretty sure that bee's don't have knees. They are all just expressions that rhyme, no real meaning behind them..... 

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I posted it. I thought nothing of it! I probably won't ever use it again though... seeing as so many people hate it LOL.

• imageMrsRustyGriswold:
    It doesn't bother me, but in my whackadoo mind, I always think of the plant Crepe Myrtle as if the plant has something to do with fertility, like an herbal supplement.

I think of Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter.

I'm a nerd. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"