North Carolina Babies

Smiles; Coos?

When did this happen for your DC? I have seen Andrew smile but he has only smiled AT me a time or 2 so I am just curious when they start to do it more often. That goes for cooing too, he hasnt started this much yet.

I am reading WTE The First Year and it is pretty much telling me he should be doing all this by now....I know you cant read into those books too much and every child is diff but I think it is beginning to get me freaked out a little bit at what it claims he should be doing already.

I am getting selfish flame if you want but I want a little something back and a cute gummy grin would be awesome!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Smiles; Coos?

• Nate started smiling at around 3 weeks, but I don't remember when he smiled AT us.  He started cooing around 6 weeks and he hasn't shut up since then.

Things like cooing really seem to vary by baby though.  It seems like some babies like to talk non-stop and others don't make much noise until they start babbling.

• DD was a big noise maker, so she started cooing around 3 weeks and hasn't stopped. ?She probably started social smiling around 4 weeks.

Like ECU said, it is so different between babies. ?Some like to hear themselves all the time, others are more reserved.?

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe I didnt want to ask this question Crying

• Don't worry! DD didn't smile socially until she was about 6 weeks but that wasn't very often. I think she was almost 8 weeks when she was doing it regularly. Same thing with the cooing.
  • Sweetie, please don't sweat it. ?They all move at their own pace and he is still so young you need not worry. ?I totally hear you about being ready for a rewarding smile, but it will come!!
  • In Nate's daycare, there are 4 babies about the same age as him.  3 of them are sitting up and the others aren't.  2 are trying to crawl, but Nate's not even that interested at all.  A few are babbling (ma ma ma, ba ba ba) and Nate's not really don't that either.  Babies are just really different!  They all develop at a different rate!

• Jennifer, this is going to sound mean, but you really need to learn to let these things go now before you drive yourself crazy.  If you're worried about something so small now, you're going to be a nutjob if he's not sitting at 6 months, or crawling at 8.  Please, please, please do yourself a favor by not getting overly concerned about milestones.  All babies are so different, and really do things on their own time.  Put the book down!

Eli was smiling and cooing alot by 8 weeks.  I'm not sure when it exactly started, but I remember discussing it at his 2 month appt.  He was a very vocal baby, even our pedi and his daycare teachers commented on it.  And it's really hard to tell when the smiles are social and intentional. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:

Jennifer, this is going to sound mean, but you really need to learn to let these things go now before you drive yourself crazy.  If you're worried about something so small now, you're going to be a nutjob if he's not sitting at 6 months, or crawling at 8.  Please, please, please do yourself a favor by not getting overly concerned about milestones.  All babies are so different, and really do things on their own time.  Put the book down!

Wow that was harsh, as stated I know that babies do things at their own pace. But also as stated I was just curious and wondering what other exp were and that question was answered several times. 

The last sentence of my post sums up my feelings the most right now, as Evans noted.

• I think I'm going to throw away my Week by Week, b/c I think they put their milestones much earlier than average! Or at least Maddie has never achieved the weekly milestones on their timetable. I know how hard it is to wait for those daily smiles- it is coming soon, I promise! Maddie started smiling *most* days by about 9-10 weeks.....but it's just been in the last couple of weeks that she really smiles in response to me making funny faces or talking in funny voices to her.

She also doesn't have nearly the head control that the Week by Week says she should have by now...oh well! I know she'll get there at her own pace. I know it's so hard to go through each day and not get any sort of feedback from the baby (other than crying!). But one day very soon Andrew will be shooting you giant smiles every morning when you go to get him up, and you'll forget what a non-smiling day was like :).

• Sorry!  I just didn't want to sugar coat it.  And in all fairness you did say you were starting to get freaked out a little, so maybe I took it the wrong way. 

I remember feeling that way about laughing.  Eli didn't laugh for the longest time, and I wanted so badly to hear it.  I know what you mean when you say you want a little something back, and that's not selfish at all.  That's the main reason you hear people (like myself) say they're not a big fan of the newborn stage.  But you're really getting close to being out of that stage and getting some real interaction with him. 

• Sign me up for the not liking the newborn phase club. I have felt this way for quite a while esp when i was home with him all day and DH wasnt helping as much.

I love him to death I just dont like this phase, DH thinks I want him to grow up too soon and not to lie I do a little. I used to dread the "kid" phase now I am so looking forward to it. I want another baby but I am not looking forward to those first 2 months at all. It is hard as hell!

• I agree about the newborn phase! But you really are close to getting some of the good stuff :). I swear I have been so much happier and being a mommy has been so much easier in the last month- but especially in the last couple of weeks. Even though there are still some days where Maddie cries and cries in the afternoons, I am able to handle it so much better now.

Oh, and as for cooing...I guess Maddie does. She makes a lot of noise, that's for sure, lol. But it's not what I thought "cooing" would sounds like....more like grunts and squeals of indignation, lol!

• I felt the same way being at home.  It just wasn't for me.  But that's ok.  Just know that it will get better from here on out, every week.  I really started enjoying Eli around 6 months.  I know that probably sounds bad.  Not that I didn't love him to death before, but I just enjoy older babies who can interact and learn and play with you.  But I was definitely seeing a big difference as soon as 3 months.

That's the same reason DH and I are having a hard time deciding on #2.  We just really don't want to do the first few months again.  But I guess as time passes we'll forget little by little until we're naive enough to do it again!  But I'd have a dozen kids, if we could just get past the newborn stage!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"