LGBT Parenting

Confession: I need a baby/toddler food cookbook

Ok, so I am not the cook of the family, but I really do want to start making more food for the kiddos. I know we should be expanding their horizons, and I'm just not quite sure how to do it. I also don't really know what we should be feeding them through these next few years. Embarrassed I know a lot of people say to feed them what you're eating, but honestly S and I don't eat as wide a variety of foods as I'd like the kids to eat and (at least right now) our schedule is such that S and I don't eat until after the kids are in bed.

Does anyone know of a good baby/toddler cook book? I can print a bunch of website pages, but it'd be a little more convenient to have everything in one place in a book.

TIA for any and all suggestions!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: Confession: I need a baby/toddler food cookbook

• If you are in the stage of needing to hide the veggies to get them to eat (hopefully you aren't there) We liked this:

https://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

She has another book out about quick/family friendly meals, but I haven't looked at it.  

Saw this on Amazon and it looks good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-100-Recipes-Happy-Kids/dp/1844836037/ref=pd_sim_b_5

You probably don't need a toddler cookbook as much as easy/quick/healthy recipes.Smile

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image2brides:

You probably don't need a toddler cookbook as much as easy/quick/healthy recipes.Smile

ITA.  I know some nights I have a really hard time coming up with meals for JB and I but the quicker I can make them the better.  She loves things like spinach patties, tofu, polenta, and crab cakes.  I try to keep some of these on hand for a quick go-to dinner.  I buy pre-breaded eggplant that I can quickly heat and layer with cheese and sauce.  I'm not to proud to hide the fact that I dig into canned veggies in a hurry and will grate a bit of cheese for JB to pick at.  Even though she eats what I eat it's still a lot more difficult than I thought it would be to feed an child :-p

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Since I am home with the kids solo 2-3 nights a week, we don't tend to sit down to eat together (I know...) and because I am in robot mode when I get home I am not terribly hungry. So most of what I cook is super fast and kid friendly.

I do a lot of pasta with a bit of butter (crazy kids don't like grated cheese) with some kind of protein. I used to mix in peas or mixed veggies with the pasta until I had to picky preschoolers. I do turkey hot dogs, Boca burgers, edamame (pre-shelled and good protein!), slices of deli meat, Perdue makes individually packaged chicken breasts that are pretty thin and defrost in water in about 10m and since they are thin, only take about 10m to cook, breakfast for dinner (pancakes, eggs, fruit, yogurt) is a HUGE hit. Most of our veggies are steamed in the microwave.

Before finickiness came to our house, we did steamed and cubed sweet potatoes,  Moningstar Farm stuff (broccoli bites used to be a huge hit), cubed roasted squash.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I know you asked for a cookbook, but i loooove https://www.weelicious.com - there are many nights when i'll pop on there just before leaving work to decide what's for dinner :)
  • Thank you all so much for all the helpful suggestions!! And for not laughing at me for needing help. Smile

2 brides: You are totally right about the easy/quick/healthy recipes thing. I should take another look at the books I have to see if there are things in there I could use. Maybe I need to make menu idea cards to remind myself of the possibilities.

Two: Glad I'm not the only one who finds this challenging at times. I've never cooked tofu Embarrassed, but I'll definitely try working it in.

CT: That's a great site, thanks! Those sweet potato muffins look SOOO yummy!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"