New Jersey Babies
Options

insight requested on childcare dilemma

Hello--would love some insight regarding a somewhat complicated childcare issue.  I have a three year old and a five month old, and both attend a daycare center now (three year old in the preschool program there, and baby obviously in the infant room).  I'm not thrilled with either room, but it was the only place I felt comfortable enough having my children while we're at work.  My dd will start PreK in Sept (when she's four), and I'd really like to move her to a better program (where she is now seems more like glorified babysitting-not that I expect a lot of formal education at preK, but I feel like she'd have more fun and learn more elsewhere--and I should note that all of her "friends" have moved on to better programs, but I opted to keep my kids together and I didn't like the infant programs at the other places, if they were offered at all).  Problem is, a school I like for her does not offer care for my son, which would mean bringing them to two different places in the morning on the days I drive into work.  This isn't practical because my husband has to leave for work before we're even awake, so he can't do one of the drop-offs, and I have a very long commute, so I'd be very late every day.  As it is now, it's insanely hectic getting myself and two little ones ready, fed and out the door on my own each day--and they go to the same place now.  So, we're considering hiring a nanny for our son to come to our home each am, so I only have to get my daughter off to better school (and by better, I mean I think she'd be much happier).   My concern is that 1.  not sure I trust one person in my home alone with my child and don't know how to get over that and 2.  is it better that I keep them in the same place for the sake of ease and interaction with other little ones for my son (who will be one around that time in the fall) at the expense of my daughter --for whom I'd like to provide more in terms of fun, structure, etc.?  I'd really appreciate your thoughts/opinions if you're in a similar boat. 

Re: insight requested on childcare dilemma

• Options

I'm not in a similar boat but what I might suggest is trying to find someone you already know & trust to watch your youngest at home. And then install one of those nanny cam type things to see what's going on. I can understand wanting what's best for both of your kids. I think if you can find someone you are happy with to watch your son at home, that would be easiest for logistics.

However, you'll soon have to have your 2 kids in separate places anyway once your DD is in kindergarten and your DS is then in nursery/preschool, right? Maybe you can hire someone to bring one of the kids to and from school only so you don't have to drive all over creation and then get to work late. And you can have the best school/interaction for both kids.

Just throwing some ideas out there. Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"