LGBT Parenting
Options

My dear friends are breaking up :(

They've been together for over 10 years, have a 3 year old son and one of them has pretty severe health issues and he can't work.  What's going to happen to them?  Obviously they're not married - Illinois just passed civil unions, but they haven't done that yet either.  I believe they have a registered domestic partnership (I could be wrong), but how is this going to work?  Is my friend with the illness going to get screwed?  He's a stay at home dad to Connor - is he going to lose his child?  I am utterly distraught.  I never thought this would happen to them.  I feel like if they were married, there would be some distinct rules in place to protect them both and I am even more pissed that gay marriage isn't legal across the board.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My dear friends are breaking up :(

• Options
    well if they adopted their son together, they should both be on the birth certificate and both have legal rights to their son. And some couples draw up agreements prior to having children spelling out custody arrangements/guardianship in the case of splitting up. Good luck to your friends.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"