August 2011 Moms

Different but Kinda cute Furniture..suggestions please :)

OK Ladies so ive been leaning towards cherry wood furniture but the other day, DH and I where in Ikea and we came across this furniture...I would never think of pink furnture but it looks real different and cutesy and i think with the right wall color and  nursery decorations it could work...what doyou girls think? Its ok if you dont like it...positive and negatives are welcome....we didnt buy it yet bc we are still debating on it..DH for some reason really really likes it..For those of you that do like it..I dont want the room to look entirely pepto bismal pink so what color would you do the wall and what kind of wall decorations would you put up and etc? I like Butterflies but i think pink butterflies would be to much? Maybe white? Any sugggestions would help:) Thanks In Advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Different but Kinda cute Furniture..suggestions please :)

• NMS, but I like more traditional furniture. Are you planning on having more than one? If so, you might want to consider something that could be used for boys or girls.
  • Definitely not my style, but I think that you could make it work.  The only concern I would have is if you eventually get tired of it.  Will you be able to keep the other parts of the set once you switch the crib out?  If you have the money to switch once LO outgrows the crib, then I would say go for it 100%.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_20130228_133645
  • Loading the player...
  • It's very cutesy.  I think if you decide to go for it, you should paint the walls a shade of aqua/turquoise.  Aqua goes nicely with pink, and with red, so it should match that furniture.
  • I love it! And you could always paint it a different color in the future if you have a boy. Maybe you could paint over the pink with yellow or turquoise or something to make it boy appropriate if you need it in the future. Like PP said, it's definitely not traditional but I personally really like the whimsy. It reminds me of something you'd find in Minnie Mouse's house (in a good way!).
    imageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like the style of the furniture - it's unique but fun - but pink isn't really my style. I agree with a PP that a fun turquoise wall could work with it. I like the butterfly idea, but they might be harder to find in colors that would go well with a wall color like that. Have you ever been to Sherman Williams paint website? You can "paint" rooms with different colors. Maybe you could play around with that. Match the room's accents with the red and pink and then play with the wall colors until you find one you like?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think that it is cute...I agree to do the walls a diff color. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • imagesapphirewolfkdv:
    I really like the style of the furniture - it's unique but fun - but pink isn't really my style. I agree with a PP that a fun turquoise wall could work with it. I like the butterfly idea, but they might be harder to find in colors that would go well with a wall color like that. Have you ever been to Sherman Williams paint website? You can "paint" rooms with different colors. Maybe you could play around with that. Match the room's accents with the red and pink and then play with the wall colors until you find one you like?

This. Love the style of the furniture but am not a fan of pink myself, plus the difficulty reusing the furniture if needed later on is something to keep in mind. 

I also agree that turquoise paint would like nice. I'd limit additional pink items in the room since those pieces would make a big statement on their own. 

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also agree that pink butterflies may be a bit much, what about birds? Maybe turquoise walls w/ white bird decals? 

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love that furniture line. We thought about getting DD the toddler bed and stuff, but I didn't want to get something that wouldn't be reusable for a boy if needed. 

I don't know what the crib is made of, but the toddler bed is plastic and would not be easily repainted.

I like it though, and would totally go for it, as long as you're ok with either buying all new should you have a boy, or having a boy in a pink crib.  

• I LOVE that furniture line at Ikea, but in the blue. What is your bedding? I'd pull wall colors from the bedding, but nothing over-the-top or bright, since the furniture takes care of that for you. I like it though!
  • We have the night table and table/chairs set in blue for DS.  Love it!  So easy to clean, and child-proof! Even marker scribbles come right off.  It is a lot of pink, but I LOVE the idea of aqua wall with white decals (birds/owls/trees?).  That would soften the pink a bit and be so cute.  Ikea has such great prices that you don't need to worry so much about reusing for siblings... and other than the crib, your daughter will use those pieces for a long time.  My DS is almost 5, and I'm sure he'll use his for a couple more years, until we're ready for a really big-kid room.
  • If you plan on having more than one child, I'd recommend not getting this set. We are saving so much money with baby #2 because we got all our big items in gender neutral shades and patterns. Just something to think about. ;)
  • I love this furniture, have looked at it in person, and I would probably be getting it if we were doing our full nursery right now. I have always wanted to do a Dr. Seuss theme, and this would be great for that.

I agree with the PP that you could easily paint it for a boy baby later. Although I also love traditional furniture, I love that nurseries are one of the few chances to really just have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't really like it,  but I tend not to like gender specific furniture or baby gear (i.e. bouncers, etc) .  I am very practical (and probably very cheap!..I'll admit it!)  and would only want to purchase big ticket items that are gender neutral.

• I think it is fun.  I would be wary of purchasing it if you plan on having more babies because you'd have to buy different furniture for  boy (or paint this stuff).  But I think it could be really fun with a Dr. Seuss theme because it is so whimsical in style :)
  • NMS, but it's cute.  I would keep wall decor to a minimum. If you want to do vinyls, maybe stick them on the furniture itself rather than the walls.

Personally, I worry about the paint chipping and the colors being too busy for baby.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it is really cute and different and if it is your style then you can totally make it work! Also, if you have another kid or get tired of all the pink it wouldn't be much trouble to paint it white or brown or something. I'd just be really neutral with all the other stuff in the room - walls, bedding, carpet, etc.  I think if you keep those to a simple color scheme, like white or tan, then this could be really fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"