Minnesota Babies

Southdale OBGYN question

HI there, 

I have a couple questions for those of you that have gone to Southdale OBGYN.

First of all, they mentioned today that I will not get to hear the heart beat at my first appointment, which will be at 8 weeks. I was really bummed about this. I recently  had a loss and I was hoping hearing the heartbeat would calm my nerves a bit.  For those who go to Southdale, When did you get to hear a heartbeat? 

Also, the class thing you have to go to before your first appt, do husbands go to those? I don't want my hubby to be the only male there, but I want him to be there if he "should be".

Thanks for your help ladies. I am quite new at this! 

TTC since 06/10 BFP #1 02/04/11- MC 2/8/11 at 4 weeks 6 days BFP #2 03/10/11- MC 3/19/11 at 5 weeks 2 days BFP# 3 05/21/11- Hoping 3rd times a charm! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Southdale OBGYN question

• I am not going to Southdale, but my OB's office said I wouldn't be able to hear the heartbeat my first appointment either- so my husband didn't come a long.  Well, we heard the heartbeat.  They generally tell you you will not hear it so early, they may try to hear it though.

As for the class, I am not sure what you are talking about.  We didn't have to go to a class before either first appointment (this is my second child). 

Good luck.  Do not stress out too much!

• I went to Southdale OBGYN (Burnsville office)

My hubby went to the class, and all the other people there had their SO with them as well.

At my first appt (around 9 weeks I think) they tried for the hb, but when they didn't hear it I got an internal U/S and did hear it :)

• Loading the player...
  • I went there and all SOs were at the class. As for the heartbeat.....I don't think my first appt. was until 10 weeks. They did hear the heartbeat, but they said not to worry if you don't cuz sometimes it's hard to that early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RicekRicek member

Thanks Ladies! That helps. I just wasn't sure whether to bring my husband along if we wern't going to hear a heartbeat.  I don't really think he needs to be there if they are just doing a blood draw. 

Thanks again! 

TTC since 06/10 BFP #1 02/04/11- MC 2/8/11 at 4 weeks 6 days BFP #2 03/10/11- MC 3/19/11 at 5 weeks 2 days BFP# 3 05/21/11- Hoping 3rd times a charm! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's where I go, and so far I love them. They did not try for the hb at my first 8 week appointment which was with a np not a doc. I had to go back in the next week for high risk referral and the doc tried and found it then.

I don't think many doctors even try that early because they don't want disapointed mothers.

Also, the class was pretty informational especially for the dh's!

• I was only Southdale OBGYN at the end of my pregnancy but my original OB did not try to find the heartbeat until I was 16 weeks. 
  • I go to the Edina location.  My husband went to the class and really learned a lot!  I highly recommend taking him with!  They couldn't hear the heartbeat at 8 weeks, so I came back again at 10 just for a heartbeat check.  I also had some cramping early on, so I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and 7 weeks.  So we have seen the heartbeat on the ultrasound already. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"