New Jersey Babies
Options

Intro and Maternity Leave question

Hello everyone! I am new to TB and have been reading along on the first trimester boards. I was a knottie when I was planning my wedding and recently got my BFP. So here I am. 

I have a question regarding how long you need to be employed with a company before they can give you maternity leave. I know for FMLA you have to be employed for 12 months and that leave is unpaid (and depends on company size). I am considering switching jobs but my current company's benefits are amazing and I am just not sure if it is worth even pursuing something new, especially if you need to be employed there for x amount of time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro and Maternity Leave question

• Options

Hi and Congrats!

I think every company is different.  I know in my company, if you're there over a year, you're eligible for 12 paid weeks.  If you're there less time, they prorate it.  In other words if you're there 6 months, you might get only 8 weeks, etc.  But I also know my company is better than most when it comes to parental leave. 

Basically, while companies are required under FMLA to give you 12 weeks unpaid (with some caveats), they are not required to give you any paid time off unless you use vacation or accrued time off.  You mentioned that your company's benefits are amazing.  Without knowing any other details, I would stick it out at your current company. 

Not sure if that helped but just wanted to respond.  I should also note that I'm not in HR or anything so I could be wrong about this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi and congrats. Every company is different - for example mine gave 1 week for every year you are employed there. I was only there 1 year (I switched a few months before my BFP) when I went out on leave...not the most desirable maternity leave situation. Like PP said, I would wait it out if you can. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"