1st Trimester

HELP! Just ate Mexican cheese dip...

So I totally forgot that you aren't suppose to have the queso dip from the mexican resturants.  I ordered a dish that had chicken, shrimp, and rice covered in the cheese sauce.  I ate about 7 bites before I realized it.

Is this harmful for my baby?  I am 6w3d along and am terrified of having a miscarriage.  Could this possibly cause one?

Re: HELP! Just ate Mexican cheese dip...

• Why would this be bad? 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Don't worry, listeria really isn't THAT common. I sneak salads with bleu cheese here and there and the occasional cold sub. I think we all play listeria roulette now and again. Really, you and your baby are gonna be fine.
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • You should be fine, the main reason you are supposed to avoid certain foods is your immune system is lowered during pregnancy and you are more prone to food borne illnesses.  Don't stress. 
  • Everything that I have read said you aren't suppose to eat unpasteurized cheese and that the cheese dip from Mexican restaurant is unpasteruized.  It could cause Listeria.
  • Thanks guys.  That makes me feel better.  I went into hyperventilation mode there for a few hours!!!!

We tried to conceive for a year and 2 months, so this baby is really special to us!

• Okay-

2 things

1. If it is sold in the US it is most likely pasturaized

2. You need to relax.  A little Mexican dip is not going to hurt anything.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Unless you are starting to get actual stomach issues, I wouldn't worry. The stress you inflict upon yourself is way worth for the baby than the probably completly fine cheese dip. Yes, pasteurized would have been better, but unpasteurized does not automatically mean contaminated.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesugarababy27022:
    Everything that I have read said you aren't suppose to eat unpasteurized cheese and that the cheese dip from Mexican restaurant is unpasteruized.  It could cause Listeria.

Unless you drove down to Mexico for dinner the cheese was likely pasteurized

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesmilelari:

imagesugarababy27022:
    Everything that I have read said you aren't suppose to eat unpasteurized cheese and that the cheese dip from Mexican restaurant is unpasteruized.  It could cause Listeria.

..and was melted, therefore cooked. 

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • If I'm not mistaken, many of these warnings are for "queso fresco" which is an unpasteruized white cheese. 

https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/safe-pregnancy-eating/ 

If what you ate was a yellow cheese dip type cheese, these are made from pasteurized cheeses (mostly Velveeta/American type) and to top it off, they are cooked (cooking kills the bacteria of unpasteurized cheese).

I've eaten queso 2 times in the last few weeks (and a lot of it I might add!!) and had no issues.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most cheeses sold in this country are pasteurized. The only kind I have ever noticed that was not was a gourmet imported cheese at Whole Foods. I eat feta and bleu cheese all the time on salads. It says right on the container that it is made from pasteurized milk. Don't stress!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not sure about the cheeses since all cheeses I like aren't an issue.  I do know that Listeria can be really bad in a pregnant woman because it can spread to the baby and kill the baby.  I don't know that it's always the case if you get Listeria, but I certainly don't want to take that chance!
  • I have had queso twice this week....yum!  

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks cheese dip is going to cause a m/s.  Seriously, just use a bit of common sense.  It is cooked, so it ought to kill any bacteria.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageoliviosis:

If I'm not mistaken, many of these warnings are for "queso fresco" which is an unpasteruized white cheese. 

If found in Mexico.  The commercially available white mexican cheeses such as queso fresco and queso blanco are almost always pasteurized in the United States.  I buy queso blanco quite frequently at both Walmart and a local Mexican market and I've always gotten pasteurized versions.

Also, most states have laws requiring the use of pasteurized cheeses in restaurants.  Chances are, any good establishment isn't going to take a risk anyways.  Just don't eat any white cheese off of a taqueria truck...

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Even the white queso you get at mexican restaurants is okay, because (a) it's cooked, and (b) it's actually made of cheddar cheese and cream (at least those are the ingredients listed on the can of white queso I inhaled the other day). 
  • imagesmilelari:

imagesugarababy27022:

This.  I had some queso last night in fact.  I know it's hard not to freak out about food issues when it seems like the list of what you can't eat is 10 feet long.  But, you really can eat most things.  For example, I'm still eating deli turkey a couple of times a week at home.  I microwave it until steaming first though.  Happy and healthy 9 months! Big Smile

• I think I need to order a nice big helping of nachos from the new Mexican restaurant in town---loaded down in yellow and WHITE queso. Yum yum.

• wow..the only things i remember my dr ever really warning me about eating was shell fish (which the smell made me sick anyway..) and tuna- which i dont like anyways..i ate white queso dip all the time and probably had subway (cold deli meat) at least 2 or 3 times a month with my last pregnancy..i had absolutely no issue and i have a wonderfully healthy 3 year old to prove it- im not at all worried about the cheese at the mexican restaurant- now im going ot have to make my hubby stop by and pick some up on the way home lol
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • HAHA..I'm with you, now I'm CRAVING white queso with some cilantro thrown in!  Don't chastize the poor girl for worrying, ladies.  She's being a diligent new mom.  I think the take home message is to always stay calm and do some research of your own.  And remember, over here in the Western world we aren't supposed to eat raw fish during pregnancy but out East do you think they abstain?  What's the m/c rate in these places.  My point is, don't worry.  You're being a good new mama to check into things!  Yay you!
  • Thank You for being nice!

• :-D  My pleasure!  I don't know what gets into some people some times.  I think the internet lends us to forgetting our manners and being more curt and frank than necessary.  

Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months!  I have had 3 early m/c so I know about the nerves....onward!  To another joyful day (of back aches, nausea, sore bbs, dizziness..etc!  giggle) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"