Military Families
Options

leaving Army NG, but would like to join another branch

Do you recommend your branch? I am enlist but will be graduating this yr, so the new branch I join will plan on entering as an officer. My husband also wants to join do you recommend both parents being in the military?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: leaving Army NG, but would like to join another branch

• Options
    My DH went from enlisted NG to AD Army officer (through OCS) two years ago and loves it. If he hadn't stayed Army, he would've gone Navy.
  • Options
    DH is an AD enlisted Marine. If he was going to become an officer, he said he wouldn't stay in the Marine Corps. Officers get put where they are needed, not necessarily based on training and education. He said he'd go in the Navy as an officer because he would be placed in a job assignment according to his training and education rather than by need.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my husband is an officer in the navy and until a couple weeks ago when I got my BFP I was also going to be an officer in the navy. I highly suggest the navy. Depending on what you do (what do you have your degree in?) they offer a lot of jobs that are applicable in the real world. Like my husband is a nuclear officer and can get a extremely high paying job at a power plant. I would look into what your options are as far as jobs and if you plan on working when you get out if the skills are transferable. I also like the navy because depending on what you do you can probably be stationed together. Like I know many dual navy couples and they have never been apart. Also, they rarely, if ever make you deploy at the same time. I would look at what job choices are available for your degree and go from there. If you have any questions about joining feel free to message me. I just went through the process.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options

While all services are great, I particular to the Navy. Do you know what jobs/rate he is interested in?

• Options
    I will be graduating with my Bachelors in Social Work most branches want at least a Social Worker with at least a Masters. Hubby tried to enlist in the Navy and never got called back from his recruiter and his asvab  scores expired. Now he wants to join the Marines. We are actually going today to speak to a recruiter, and if he does go in he will be doing that solo. I respect the Marines, but I honestly don't think I can do basic over again and most importantly make it through the Marine basic training. I barely made it through the Army basic training. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not sure if this is overall, but I know here in KY, if you start out NG, your time in will not transfer to Active or Reserve.  Not sure how long you have been in, but just a heads up. 

I think both parents being in the military is very difficult, especially if you are wanting a child anytime soon.  At the end of the day, it's you and your H's decision.  I just wouldn't want to have a child and both parents be called up for a deployment.  Not likely, but it is possible.

Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Air Force all the way!  My husband is Navy and we are both miserable with the Navy, they don't have a focus on family, especially dual military families.  They are not understanding at all.  I am an Officer in the AF and love it!  Best decision I ever made, and they put family as a priority!  However, my husband and I want to start a family, so he will be leaving the military.  It is too hard to make two military careers work with a family, trust me, I have been doing it for years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"