Birth Stories

Moms who had water births - birthing tub question

I'm wanting to do a water birth, I was planning on just doing it in the hospitals bath tub, until I found out that the hospitals only have showers. I then thought of just buying a little inflatable pool and bringing it with us. My only concern (that I can think of right now) is that its not meant to give birth in, AND it won't be able to keep the water heated.  

What was your experience? 

What birthing tub did you use?

Did you mind/care/notice that the water was heated - warm- or cold?

I'm trying to figure out what I'll need for all of this, and I'm also trying to keep it cheaper than $300. Then I have to call the hospitals to see if they will allow me to bring it in to the room. 

Would there be any reason for them to say no? Even if they don't 'like' the idea of a water birth, could I just say that I would like a tub to relax in instead of a shower? 

Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to be able to pull this off.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Moms who had water births - birthing tub question

• I used an Aqua Doula and it worked just fine.  It has a heater.

I actually disliked the really warm water and we let it cool down to about 98 degrees before I got into it again.  I couldn't have handled much hotter than that.  Even at 98 degrees I needed a cold washcloth on my forehead to cool me down.

You're going to need to think about how you are going to clean out the tub and pump the water out after the birth at the hospital.  Are they going to allow you to pump it into the sink?  Also, who is going to pump it for you?  It took about an hour and a half to pump and clean out our tub after the birth.  I'm not sure if the hospital will allow that.  But if they do, I would for sure hire a doula to handle the clean-up for you.  You don't want your DH to have to do that right after the birth.

• Most hospitals will not allow you to deliver in the tub. Talk to the hospital before making any purchases in regards to a tub.

When I had DS #1 I delivered him in the tub at the hospital but was made to walk to the bed to deliver the placentaI, which I did not enjoy. I was carrying him and the cord was shorter than I felt comfortable with so I was hunched forward etc. I  had my second DS at home 4 days ago in my actual bath tub. It made clean up a breeze and I was able to drain the water and deliver the placenta without needing to transfer to the bed (potential for mess). After the cord was cut I handed the baby to the midwife for his Apgar and baby check, stood up and showered off. I scooped out a smallish clot from the drain when I was cleaning the tub later in the day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Currently I'm trying to get a feel for the tubs prices, and everything that comes along with it. I'll definitely get the ok from the hospital before we come walking in with one. 

I was hoping to do a home birth, but my midwife is associated with a hospital, which is why she is covered by our insurance. Also she isn't licensed in home births. That was a huge bummer, but my husband and I couldn't afford any of our local lay midwifes out of our pocket alone, especially since we are trying to save up for baby. 

I'm hoping the hospital will be lenient, but I also doubt they will understand.

Either way, wish me luck! 

• I'm a first timer, so no exp with that, but... Have you toured your hospital yet? Mine has a big tub (and shower) and they said I could have the baby there if I wanted. I don't know details on the placenta. Definitely worth a call.
  • imageMcAllie5:
    I'm a first timer, so no exp with that, but... Have you toured your hospital yet? Mine has a big tub (and shower) and they said I could have the baby there if I wanted. I don't know details on the placenta. Definitely worth a call.

I have three to choose from, but I haven't toured any of them yet. I was told by my midwife that has delivered in each place that they only have showers and no tubs. I would completely just jump in the tub that they had if that was the case! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"