Working Moms
Options

will I ever have job satisfaction?

This year has been onve of lots of changes.  I went back to work PT in February.  In May, I went back FT.  I loved my job and my coworkers, but I was driving 60 miles one way and it was just too much with an infant at home.  I asked to stay PT, but that was a no-go.  I was approached by a local company for a position just block from our home and DS's daycare.  I took it, although it was nothing I had ever done before.  Then, at the end of August, I was again approached by a director of a nonprofit for a position that I did in a different location about three years.  Three years ago I loved my job and was sad when we moved and I had to find something else.  I am glad to be back in my comfort zone, but I have days (like today) that I long to be back in the job I had six months ago when I returned from maternity leave.  Three years ago I didn't have to wrestle my schedule with my husband's and figure out care for DS.  The grass is always greener somewhere else.  I'm not sure what would give me job satisfaction, but I'm just having one of the dreary afternoons. 

Thanks for listening to me rant... anyone else ever wonder what would really make them happy in life?

Re: will I ever have job satisfaction?

• Options

I want job satisfaction too!  Sadly, until that comes along, I am working for the paycheck!  Someday the rigt job will come along and you will feel completely comfortable in your position!

Rant all you want...I am sure there are a lot of us wondering what job, if any will make us truly happy!

• Options
    i always wonder this... and sadly the only job i really want (yoga teacher) is not the one that i can make money to live & help support my family on.. thus i trod on in the corporate world. *sigh* No
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelisaNov3:
    i always wonder this... and sadly the only job i really want (yoga teacher) is not the one that i can make money to live & help support my family on.. thus i trod on in the corporate world. *sigh* No

Amen!

I feel like at this point, NO, I will not have job satisfaction : /  It's depressing.  I loathe my job.  I switched back in Jan (after being back from maternity leave for 3 months) and I just want my old job back.  Having a little perspective changed me.  Although, to be a bit cheesy and philosophical, I've been doing some "soul searching" and I'm not sure that any job will truly leave me feeling satisfied. It's not as pitiful as it sounds but I think FOR ME to be truly happy, I need a little better work/ life balance.  I feel like the scales are tipped heavily in favor of work.  I keep hearing how all these people get to go PT or that b/c of the economy companies are shifting workers to PT and I think "WHY NOT ME?!"

I've already asked to go PT 2x at work.  I think I will ask one more time at the end of the year and if the answer is no again, I"m going to quit.  I can't take it and my stellar attitude is taking a toll on my marriage.

(geez, that was long winded!)

• Options

"I'm not sure that any job will truly leave me feeling satisfied. It's not as pitiful as it sounds but I think FOR ME to be truly happy, I need a little better work/ life balance. "

hiltyn78 - I think this statement works for me, too.  It is depressing somedays, isn't it?  Thanks for commisserating with me!

• Options
    imagebeenbizzy:

Thanks for listening to me rant... anyone else ever wonder what would really make them happy in life?

I wonder this pretty much every day. I am not happy with my job but afraid to leave and find something else. I have been at my job for over 6 years so I am afraid of having to take a pay cut, afraid that I won't like another job either, and I just don't really like change. I wish that I knew what I could do with my life to really make me happy. I want a sense of accomplishment from my job. I don't get that now.
  • Options

I can totally relate.  My DH and I were just talking about this.  I have only been happy in one job (career-wise) that I have had.  I still don't know what I want to do when I 'grow up'.  It is very frustrating.  One day I want to be a college professor, the next a corporate trainer, the next a business owner.

Right now I am in the worst position for me: stuck.  I have to stay at my job because I make a good salary and we need the money for the house (and the car, and the baby and the....).  I've been looking for a new job for a couple months now and because of the economy, there is nothing out there.  I have applied to about 10 jobs, and haven't gotten called for any of them.  I'm using the same resume that (updated of course) I have in the past, so I don't think it is that.  The thought that I have to be in this job for another year or so makes me feel so hopeless.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"