Breastfeeding

Anyone EP and have a freezer stash?

I am planning on BF with #2 but BF with #1 only lasted 5 weeks.  So I'm thinking of EP.

How many pumping sessions do you do a day?  Do you have a freezer stash?

Re: Anyone EP and have a freezer stash?

• Hi there!

With #2 I EP'ed for the first 3 or 4 months (he had heart surgery and an NG tube for a long time - so he got breast milk through that till he was able to transition to the breast).

In the beginning to build my supply up I pumped every 3 hours around the clock (sometimes every 2 hours during the day if I was at the hospital).  Then eventually I kept up the 3 hours during the day but would sleep a 5 hour stretch at night.

I was able to build up a nice freezer stash in addition to what I supplied for the hospital to feed DS.

I think the key was the hospital pump that I rented - I was able to get almost twice as much milk at each pumping session with that pump than I was able to get with the pump in style that I had.  I know some people have good success with it but in order to keep my supply up I had to use the hospital pump.

Good luck to you!

Hannah

• Ditto to pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock at first.  The first 6-8 weeks sucked because of that, but now, I do every 4 hours and STTN with the baby (I get two pumps in before I go to bed that she won't eat that day, which makes my freezer stash)

You should really check out the EP board on Ivillage.com.  The FAQ is invaluable. 

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCoastieWife08:

You should really check out the EP board on Ivillage.com.  The FAQ is invaluable. 

Do you have a link?  I couldn't find an EP board.  thanks!

• I have about 60 oz stored up in the freezer right now. I've been EP since she was a week old. I pump when ever she sleeps during the day and then when DH is home, he feeds her while I pump. I also pump after I feed her during the night.  It's exhausting and I'm thinking of not pumping quite as often. It basically evens out to every 3 hours and I have the freezer stash plus 3 or 4 bags at at time in the fridge that we cycle through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"