Breastfeeding

If you've had a stomach bug/flu while BFing

Did your baby get it, too.  Or, did the old antibodies save the baby from your pain?

I am so sick today, and I'm forcing myself to pump as much fresh milk as I can so Scarlett can get the antibodies.  I am hoping to hear that it really does help fight off the bug I have.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
Bloggin' It

Re: If you've had a stomach bug/flu while BFing

• I had a HORRIBLE bug when my DD was about 4 months old, and she didn't get it at all. I got very very dehydrated though and almost ended up in the hospital, so make sure you are drinking as much as you can keep down.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I got one when DD1 was little.  She did not get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a vile, awful one last Friday and Saturday and today is Wednesday and my little man seems okay so far. I was literally vommiting into a bucket OVER him while I was breastfeeding. Ugh. It was misery. Needless to say I went out and bought a breast pump.  
  • It happened when my ds was 9 1/2 mos and we both caught it.  Between me not keeping anything down, Connor not wanting to eat, and my insufficient glandular tissue, my supply tanked and Connor went ahead and weaned himself.  I've heard that it's more beneficial to bf than to pump if you're looking to pass on antibodies.  Not sure if that's possible for you, but just wanted to pass on the info.  I hope you feel better soon and your little one doesn't get sick! 
  • I had a 24 hour stomach bug last week and my DH got it too.. but DS didn't!  Yay!  He had one green diaper, which I'm thinking is due to the bug, but he never got sick.  I'm totally crediting the BM for keeping him healthy!
  • I got a horrible 24 hour bug last year when the kids were 2 weeks old,  They never got it.  Nurse said to drink small amounts frequently and nurse then as often as they wanted.  They were champs and ate and napped all day in bed with me.

Trina

• I got a 24 hour stomach bug last week when DD was only 5 days old and so far no sickness!  Yeah for breastfeeding!
    Mason Louise
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"