Breastfeeding

Schedule?

How long/how often does DC nurse?  We've only been EBF for about 2 weeks, so I'm still figuring things out.  I'm afraid that she's not getting enough.  We seem to go in spurts where she's hungry every hour or so, then she'll sleep for 3 hours or even 6 overnight.  The length of time she nurses varies too.  It can be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.  Is all of this normal?

Re: Schedule?

• yes, at that age DD was so sporadic about how and when she ate, I always feed on demand, so whenever she showed signs I nursed and depending on the day and time and every session was different
  • That sounds completely normal to me.  At that age, DS had absolutely no schedule at all and the length of each session varied a lot.  We had a LOT of every hour sessions, particularly in the morning and later afternoon. 

In fact, he's 3.5 months now and doesn't really have a real "schedule" still.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh, and the other thing is she'll let you know if she's not getting enough.  If she unlatches on her own and isn't interested in relatching, she's good.  If she seems content and isn't fussing when she's finished, she's good.

It took me a while to figure out that just because he was hungry again an hour later didn't mean he didn't get enough at the last feeding.  It seems like it is just the nature of BF.  Don't worry.

• very normal! it will start to regulate soon - and just when you get into a schedule, she'll go through a growth spurt and it will change again!

just have confidence in your body to produce what your baby needs and go with your gut!

• Very  normal. They'll get on a better 'schedule' when they are older.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My DS did that too, it confused the heck out of me.  At night from 7pm to 10pm he wanted to nurse constantly.  It was definitely not "every two to three hours" like books say.
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD nurse every hour to hour and a half for at least the first 2 months.  She also cluster fed in the evenings and then would sleep longer stretches (3-5 hours) at night.  There are also quite a few growth spurts in the early days, so if she's nursing more, she could be trying to build your supply.  I think all of that is normal.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"