May 2011 Moms
Options

Need advice - baby registry

My husband is overseas and I live across the country in Idaho where the rest of my family and my friends all live in Georgia, so I didn't plan on a shower.  We still began a registry but we were using it as more of a 'check list' for us.  I gave the registry address to my family, but still didn't expect a bunch of items to be purchased from it.

Anyway, last week on FB I posted that my awesome husband bought some of the items from the registry (this was a huge surprise, since we hadn't planned on buying any items from it yet).  Now I have friends I haven't spoken to in YEARS asking me for my address and where my registry is!  I'm so flattered and feel very blessed, but I'm also feeling kind of awkward...  Also sort of wishing I had just kept my blabber mouth shut.

It's like, "Oh hi person-I- haven't-spoken-to-since-high-school/college!"  On one hand I feel somewhat releived that we won't have to be purchasing all of these items on our own, but on the other hand it just feels weird to receive gifts from people who I haven't seen face-to-face in years, ya know?

So far I've been trying to politely decline by saying things like, "You're so thoughtful of thinking of us, but you really don't have to!"  But they insist.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!  I'm really awkward when receiving gifts as it is (which is probably why I'm not a huge fan of Christmas) so I'm trying to handle this in the best possible way.

Help?  Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need advice - baby registry

• Options
    If they are asking, give them the info.  You aren't asking or expecting them to give you gifts.  They are offering, so let them.  People love buying baby gifts!  It will take some of the weight off of you and let them send you love and well wishes in the form of a gift, which is probably all they can do at this point since you're far away.  Then send a really nice thank you note and maybe you'll reconnect with some old friends!
  • Options

imagemzsparklepdx:
    If they are asking, give them the info.  You aren't asking or expecting them to give you gifts.  They are offering, so let them.  People love buying baby gifts!  It will take some of the weight off of you and let them send you love and well wishes in the form of a gift, which is probably all they can do at this point since you're far away.  Then send a really nice thank you note and maybe you'll reconnect with some old friends!

I agree. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    tlxh7tlxh7 member

imagemzsparklepdx:

This.  It would be very different if you were posting generically on FB "Here's our registry info if anyone wants it."  But if they're asking, I would just say, "It's so sweet of you to ask!  We're registered at X and Y, but don't feel that you need to get us anything."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Totally agree with above. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sometimes the simplest and best advice evades the most.  Thanks ladies :)
  • Options
    For what it's worth, we had fairly distant people asking us for our wedding registry info and then none of them actually bought anything (whew!). I think some people just like to look at registries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is really generous of all of your friends. I would just make sure you send out really nice thank you notes!!
  • Options
    imagetlxh7:

[This.  It would be very different if you were posting generically on FB "Here's our registry info if anyone wants it."  But if they're asking, I would just say, "It's so sweet of you to ask!  We're registered at X and Y, but don't feel that you need to get us anything."

I agree with this wording!  I have the same uncomfortable-ness (is that a word?) with people buying stuff for me too!  In fact, we didn't even have a wedding shower but it's different for a baby.  I agree that people love buying baby stuff!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"