Houston Babies
Options

Did six weeks suck for you?

I'm trying to figure out if theres something actually wrong (like needing to change her formula) or if this fussy/crying/unpredictable baby from the netherworld is normal for six weeks

Re: Did six weeks suck for you?

• Options

It could be the dairy. So you may need to cut dairy from your diet since you are BFing some and switch to a lactose free formula.

OR

I don't want to say this....but it could be colic Zip it!

• Options
    It did for us! I switched to the enfamil gentlease and saw a difference in 24 hours. I would bf first and following up with formula. For us she would cry and we figured she was hungry so we would feed her and then she would spit up and cry more. Once we switched she was happy again! HTH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought weeks 1-6 all sucked ;-). ?I believe 6 weeks is a growth spurt time so she could be getting hungrier. ?If it makes you feel any better I thought 6 weeks was a turning point and things started to get easier.
  • Options

That was by far the absolute hardest time period of being a mother so far.  It just about killed me.  Amelia was nursing non-stop, I wasn't sleeping, she wasn't sleeping, she was fussy as anything and it sucked, just flat out sucked.  It got better after about a week and a half, but it was hard there for a while. 

I know it will get better for you soon, just hang in there. 

• Options
    I think six weeks is when a lot of moms hit The Wall.  It can be a trying time and when you finally reach a surreal place of complete and utter exhaustion/sleep deprivation.  I hope things improve soon......you have my complete and total sympathy though. Right Hug

• Options

That was about the time that we switched DD to Similac Sensitive (Lactose Free).  And also gave her gas drops in every bottle.  It helped out A LOT.  Per Dr. Sears, there's really no such thing as "colic" and it's just a term that is overly used when a baby is fussy.  There's usually an underlying reason why...most of the time it's gas that causes discomfort.  If she's constantly moving her body because she's uncomfortable and she's a tooting machine, she most likely has gas issues. 

I also got this warm heating thing called Happy Tummy.  That seemed to soothe her too. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options

Lisa - as soon as she gets up from her nap, I'm going to Target to try that formula.  We started the gas drops too last night.

I'm so glad to know this is normal - that makes me feel so, so much better!

And I don't think it's "colic" either because it's not at the same time every day, and it's not every day either.  I think we've ruled out reflux issues too as she doesn't spit up and doesn't cry as she's actually feeding/nursing - the screaming tends to start a bit after her feeds.

• Options
    imagekat.in.the.hat:

Lisa - as soon as she gets up from her nap, I'm going to Target to try that formula.  We started the gas drops too last night.

I'm so glad to know this is normal - that makes me feel so, so much better!

And I don't think it's "colic" either because it's not at the same time every day, and it's not every day either.  I think we've ruled out reflux issues too as she doesn't spit up and doesn't cry as she's actually feeding/nursing - the screaming tends to start a bit after her feeds.

maddy was a reflux baby, even thought she never spit up or cry while nursing, either.

giving her some gripe water, bicycling her legs, and massaging her tummy all seem to help.

hope it gets better!

• Options

Most babies become very, very fussy around 6 weeks. For some it lasts a day or two and for others it might last a week.

Let's just say this... at 6 weeks I called my MIL and asked her if it was normal that I wanted to give my daughter away.

She said it was.  The end.

And it DOES GET BETTER!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I switched to Emfamil Gentlease (same as Similac Sensitive) right around that time bc he was so fussy. It took about 1-2 days to kick in....but he was MUCH better after that!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Also..adding on to what Alisa said about the cycling legs..I got this book (Itsy Bitsy Yoga) (but a little too late..she was older) and REALLY wished I had it earlier.  It's a really neat because it tells you how each moves help the baby.  It also breaks it down to what you can do at different ages.

https://www.amazon.com/Itsy-Bitsy-Yoga-Longer-Stronger/dp/0743243552/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225315067&sr=8-2

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options
    I had my "breakdown" at 9 weeks.  Everything gets better around 3 months and then back to "normal" around 6 months.  Hang in there. 
  • Options
    As in the 6-8 week ultra fussy period? Yes, that sucked big time and thankfully passed.
  • Options
    Yep, I also remember a 6-8 week fussy period. But Rena has reflux and it was very bad around that time. It does get better!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

These are the 7 signs of reflux, per Dr. Bryan Vartabedian in his book Colic Solved:

1.  Spitting and vomiting

2. Constant hiccups

3. Feeding disturbances

4. Chronic irritability (crying)

5. Discomfort when lying on the back

6. Sleep disturbance

7. Chronic cough and/or congestion

In the absence of spitting up, these are ten more less-than-obvious signs that your "colicky" baby may have acid reflux:

1. Arches and pulls off of the nipple

2. Feeds voraciously

3. Seems hungry but requires more than 20 minutes to complete a 3-to-4-ounce bottle

4. Feeds better when half asleep

5. More frequently irritable after feeds than at any other time

6. Screams when put down for diaper changes

7. Awakens from sound sleep with bloodcurdling screams

8. You "hear" stomach contents being burped up from the stomach into the throat

9. Frequently has coarse, noisy breathing that's worse after sleeping

10. Constant hiccups

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"