Breastfeeding
Options

breastfeeding isnt for everybody? ot

i went back to my ob for pp check up and i asked him wat i can do to increase my supply cuz when i pump its less than 1 oz and i was wondering if i pump its less than 1 oz how do i know if my baby is getting enough milk? All he said was breast feeding isnt for everybody Huh? but i feel more closer to my baby girl when i breastfeed her. But i guess ima have to ust give her formula and quit the breastfeedin once and for all.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: breastfeeding isnt for everybody? ot

• Options
    1 oz is fine, especially since you are nursing her too.  If you think you need to increase your supply then just nurse her more often.  It makes me sooooo mad to hear doctors undermining their patients like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yikes, it is completely beyond me why a doctor would make such a statement and not say or ask anything else.

First of all, is your DD gaining weight appropriately? 

Does she have plenty of wet diapers? 

Some women don't respond well to the pump. Are you putting her to the breast at all, and if so, how much compared to pumping?

Also, babies are always able to get more milk from the breast than a pump would get from you. With DS1, I would pump every once in a while (I EBF him for 13 months) and never got much out and yet he was a healthy thriving BIG baby boy. Had I relied on pumping output to determine whether he was getting enough, I would not have made it very far.

If I were you, I would enlist the help of a good lactation consultant before "quitting."

• Loading the player...
  • Options

the doc should've never said that to you. that's discouraging and terrible, i'd probably find a new doc...

baby is MUCH more effiecient at drawing milk than your pump is. a lot of other factors can affect pumping too, such as when, if you're pumping after baby has finished eating, then yeah, you're not going to get as much out. 

also if you're not calm, and relaxed, and instead stressed out about how much is coming out... not much is going to come out.

if your baby is not acting hungry when she comes off the breast, if she is gaining weight and has wet diapers like others said then she is more than likely getting what she needs.

seek the advice of a lactation consultant before giving up if you truly want to continue bf'ing

• Options

try compressions while you pump (see link)

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

try power pumping, pumping for 10 min after milk stops, pump more frequently. All of these tell your body to make more.

Ditto  see an LC.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, that was horrible advice!!!  It's totally normal for you to only get 1oz when pumping if you are still nursing.  I only get more than that if I pump to replace a feeding (example: I pump 3x's a day at work to give him milk for daycare).  Your baby is so much better at getting milk from you than a pump is.  Your pumping output is not an indication of what your little one is getting.  Do you have a breastfeeding support group near you?  I had one that I went to.  They had you weigh the baby before and after they eat. You can see how much they are getting.  Please don't give up nursing based on what your dr said.  If you want to continue, you can!!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"