Military Families

bases with breed restrictions

We have a Rottweiler and I was wondering about bases with breed restrictions. The recruiter told us each base is different and as of right now we aren't planning on living on base but that could change. Getting rid of our dog is not an option. The recruiter said that the bases where Stryker Mechanics mainly operate out of are Ft. Carson, Ft. Bragg, a base in Washington and Ft. Sam. DH wants to go to Ft. Carson or Ft. Bragg...but I'm aware that he can make his wish list but that doesn't mean that's where we'll go. But those are the places the recruiter recommended he put on his "wish list."

Re: bases with breed restrictions

• You can live off post.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know in our lease it says that there are breed restrictions, and supposedly you are limited to two pets...but I know families that have more than two and families that have dogs on the restricted list. Maybe some places are more strict than others.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I do not live on base but I do not know of any breed restriction at Ft. Bragg. One of my good friends live on base and their neighbor has a Pit so if anything is on a restriction list that would be.

But if you are coming to Ft. Bragg I would definitely suggest checking out off post housing first. BAH here is 900 something and if you/DH are willing to commute there are houses and appartments for rent between $500-$800 dollars in the Harnett County and Lee County areas about 30 to 45 minutes from base on horrible traffic days. Also it is a lot safer and quieter in those areas. Just my $0.02

3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here at Ft Lewis/JBLM we live on post and there are breed restrictions for dogs. I think rottweilers were on that list but I can't say for sure, as we only have a cat.

You can always live off post. 

• BAH at bragg is $1065 (at least for my DH & he's E-4 just to give you an idea). We live on post & there are people with dogs on post that are on the restriction list. I'm not sure if they can keep the pets once housing finds out what the dog is. You can check off post for housing but DH & I did that before & unless your willin to really commute each day, I suggest living on post. I know lots of people will disagree but the places we checked out (close to base, affordable) were disgusting. We would turn on a street to go look a house for rent & just turn around & leave. I'm sure it's not that bad all over but really look into the area & the pros & cons of on post VS off post.
    MC: Feb 24th, 2011
  • From my experience I can say RECRUITERS DO NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!

We were told that our two boxers would not be allowed on base b/c of restrictions, and so we freaked out (not knowing any better) and had to find them a new home.  Little did we know, when we got to our first base there were no restrictions and we didn't realize we could live off base.  When we were starting out we just wanted to make sure we followed all the rules and were ready for military life, so we did what the recruiter said...bad move!

• It really does depend on the base...we lived at Fort Hood almost 2 years ago and there were no restrictions until about 2 months after we moved in...but since we moved in BEFORE the ban, as long as our pitbull was registered with the on post vet and I believe older then 6 months then she was allowed to stay. So yes some people may have breeds on base off the "Restricted List", but they may have lived there BEFORE the ban, or they just "get away with it" lol. We then PCS'd to Fort Carson, where they do have restrictions so now we live OFF base [only 4 miles from the gate, if that]. I would NEVER get rid of her bc of the ban. We've had her almost 6 years!!

Don't take recruiters word for anything. Call the base vet/housing and ask them what the policy is!

Hope this helps...any questions let me know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/stacee04
  • imageKatherineECO:
    BAH at bragg is $1065 (at least for my DH & he's E-4 just to give you an idea). We live on post & there are people with dogs on post that are on the restriction list. I'm not sure if they can keep the pets once housing finds out what the dog is. You can check off post for housing but DH & I did that before & unless your willin to really commute each day, I suggest living on post. I know lots of people will disagree but the places we checked out (close to base, affordable) were disgusting. We would turn on a street to go look a house for rent & just turn around & leave. I'm sure it's not that bad all over but really look into the area & the pros & cons of on post VS off post.

Bragg was part of the few bases where BAH was decreased from 2010 to 2011. For all new and incoming soldiers it is a different rate E1-E4 is $990, E5 $1041, E6 $1194 and increases from there. It stayed the same for people who were already stationed here.

ETA: She is right. Most off post housing right near base is either insanely expensive or disgusting. What I am referring to will be ether at 15 to 45 minute commute. DH and I personally thought it was worth it for our situation. We live about 22 miles from base. When he is headed to work in the morning it usually only takes him 25 minutes to get there, but if I am going to a Doctors appointment it can take me 45 minutes to get to the gate after dealing with morning school traffic and such.

There definitely are a lot of Pros and Cons as she said, especially to living farther off post you just have to weight those options and see whats right for your family.

3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • At Ft. Campbell they have breed restrictions, I can't remember which ones are on the list. But even if you choose to live off post you may have a hard time finding someone that will rent to you. Not only do many places have breed restrictions but some even have a weight limit for you pets.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • First and foremost, DO NOT try to live on post/base with a banned breed.  You can be fined and kicked out of housing.  When you get evicted from housing you can be denied housing in the future.  I know some ppl don't abide by the rules and just because you see a pit(which ppl mistake my american bulldog for, and is one of the most common misidentified dogs) doesnt mean they're doing it illegally. 

https://www.scribd.com/doc/13296614/US-Army-Bans-Pit-Bulls-and-Other-Breeds-from-All-RCI-Housing 

The link above(sorry if its not a clicky) is still valid.  When I registered my furbabies I had to sign a form saying I knew the banned breeds and mine weren't any of the following.  As you can see Rotties are banned unless grandfathered in, which wont happen in your case.  Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a great place off post.  I'd would check out www.ahrn.com for housing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsS2203:

First and foremost, DO NOT try to live on post/base with a banned breed.  You can be fined and kicked out of housing.  When you get evicted from housing you can be denied housing in the future.  I know some ppl don't abide by the rules and just because you see a pit(which ppl mistake my american bulldog for, and is one of the most common misidentified dogs) doesnt mean they're doing it illegally. 

https://www.scribd.com/doc/13296614/US-Army-Bans-Pit-Bulls-and-Other-Breeds-from-All-RCI-Housing 

The link above(sorry if its not a clicky) is still valid.  When I registered my furbabies I had to sign a form saying I knew the banned breeds and mine weren't any of the following.  As you can see Rotties are banned unless grandfathered in, which wont happen in your case.  Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a great place off post.  I'd would check out www.ahrn.com for housing.

Bwhahahaa. People are so stupid sometimes. I have a Boxador  (Boxer Lab mix in the picture below) that people mistake for Pit. She looks nothing like our actual Pit or any Pit Bull/ AmStaff I have ever seen. Who by the way is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever had, and is literally scared of butterflies.

• Ashley858, I have had more than one vet and animal control misidentify my babies.  One is an american bulldog and the other is a mutt(DNA testing to prove it)...I cringe when people make assumptions.

Your dog is a cutie, those eyes are gorgeous! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsS2203:

Ashley858, I have had more than one vet and animal control misidentify my babies.  One is an american bulldog and the other is a mutt(DNA testing to prove it)...I cringe when people make assumptions.

Your dog is a cutie, those eyes are gorgeous! 

Thank you, she thinks she is a 4lb lap dog. The thing I hate more than people assuming the a dog is part of a specif breed, is people assuming that all dogs of a breed are innately pre-determined to be aggressive.

• Even living off post (if renting) you may be met with breed restrictions. I know several families who are living off post here who aren't allowed to have any pets, let alone a rotty. Luckily, those are all places where you should have no problem getting off post housing!
    image image image Gif Created on Make A Gif
    M/C 10wk 3d EDD: 2011 march 4 C/P EDD: 2011 september 11
  • You may want to look into getting your dog certified as a Therapy Dog. I was talking with the founder of the Netpet.org, Steve Albin about where foster homes are available for dogs for people in the military. He told me about the therapy dog/working dog option. If you get your dog certified as a therapy dog you can legally take your dog with you pretty much anywhere. He suggested this since my dog has some Pit Bull and Chow-Chow in her.

Here is an article on his organization just so you can see it is legit:

https://www.netpets.org/mpfosterpress.html

And here is a website about Therapy Dogs. you should be able to find out from a local Vetrenarian about Therapy Dog Certification in your local area. 

https://www.tdi-dog.org/HowToJoin.aspx?Page=Testing+Requirements

I hope this helps you a little.

• The military has gone to privitized housing on a lot of bases and they aren't all run by the same company.  So what your recruiter said about things being different from base to base is true.

Some housing communities allow pets, some don't.  And then there are restrictions beyond that (usually no more than two pets allowed, and some breed restrictions apply).  The truth is, you will just have to research each new area you go to.  Even those of us who are seasoned and done several PCSs with animals have to go through the research process on each move.

We have friends in the military with rotties, dobies, and other "breed restricted" dogs.  They simply don't live on base.  DH has been active duty since 2002 and we have never lived on base.  We actually own two homes (that we rent out now) and are currently renting a home ourselves.  We prefer the privacy and space of off-base housing.   

• We also have a rottweiler.  We have pretty much gotten used to the fact that we will be living off post for the duration.  It really hasn't been that big of a problem for us.
    Shot first, questions later.
  • thanks for all the advice ladies! We've had our Rottie since he was 6 weeks old and he's now 2 yrs. We've had to face situtations in the past when renting, and I'm sure we'll continue too. When my dad was in the AF we had 2 Rotties and they were allowed on base but people have become so ignorant about the so called "aggressive breeds" so I knew things had changed.

And I have actually thought about getting him certified as a Therapy Dog just because of his personality and his loving nature, I truly think he'd be great at it!

• My husband and I just left Ft. Carson and they will not allow you to have your dog on post that breed is band and you are only allowed to have two animals on post, which can be two dogs, two cats or a dog and a cat.  If you get stationed there and choose to live off post some places band that breed as well, so good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"