South Florida Babies
Options

Need Advice! Newborn Sleeping Arrangments...

OK, so originally, we had planned to have little Tofurkey in his crib from day 1.  I know this isn't the plan that many go with, but it was what we wanted to do.  We wanted him to get used to his own room from the start, and not have to worry about doing the transition process.  His room is so close to ours that by the time you leave our room and get into his, your eyes might have not yet opened. 

Anyway, since it is still uncertain if we will be moving or not, I'm hesitant to have the furniture delivered, set up by the professionals, yet to be taken down within a month by DH to move.  Not that he couldn't do it, it just doesn't make sense to me to set up a full nursery to only be here for a month or so.   So, with that, if he truly does come sooner rather than later, I need to have a plan.  For those of you who had your DC sleep in your room in the beginning, what did you have him/her in? 

We have the Chico PnP...or should I consider getting a bassinett or co-sleeper, etc? 

Then again, a plan could all be worked out before he gets here....TIA!!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
It's Beshert

Re: Need Advice! Newborn Sleeping Arrangments...

• Options

i don't have a baby yet, but i'm with you, that it probably doesn't make sense to set up everything if you're moving. i think i'm using the PnP's bassinette feature for a while (but i'm in a totally different situation in that i live in a 1 bedroom apartment).

if you're gonna stay in your current place though, setting up his crib in his room right away sounds good.

• Options
    We used the bassinet in the PnP (it is a feature for the Graco's, not sure about yours).  If your PnP is just a regular PnP you could certainly still use it but it would be easier for you if he were up higher, especially right after delivery.  A cosleeper would be most unlike him being in his own crib but very convenient for you.  Also, FWIW, most kids don't have transition issues until they are several months old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have the Chicco Lullabye which does have a bassinett feature....so I should be good to go! right?

It's Beshert
  • Options
    It sounds like you'll be go to go with the Chico lullabye. We started with a PNP for Riley and used the higher setting on it and it seemed to work just fine.
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our plan is to use the pnp (bassinett feature) in our bedroom for a little bit. The baby's nursery will be on the other side of the house and I can't see getting up and down every 2 hours while still recovering from having the baby for the first few weeks.
  • Options

I have a wooden cradle that will be next to my side of the bed until I go back to work. Our baby's nursey is also on the other side of the house so it would just be too much for me until they are sleeping for most of the night. i plan to move the baby to his/her own crib a few weeks before I go back to work.

-j

• Options
    We had a bassinet, that ended up being recalled a few months ago so I was able to take it back to BRU. We had a PNP that had a bassinet feature but we didn't have the space in our room for it. But if your PNP has that feature and you have the space for it then I'd do that if the baby comes before you know for sure if you are moving or not.
  • Options

Ideally I think it is great to have a plan but just know it may not always work out that way :) When mommy and daddy are tired and the baby won't sleep you do what you have to do to all get some rest :)

If you have a two story then I would recommend having a pack n play downstairs and a bassinett upstairs in your bedroom. If you only have a one story then I think the pack n play in your room should be fine.

• Options

Nadia's room is literally right next to mine, but I just can't imagine not having her at my side for the first few weeks/ months. We received a little round wooden bassinet as a gift and that will be her first sleeping place. I figure we will move her into her crib around 10-12 weeks (more or less, we'll see how I feel). We have the Chicco Lullaby too, but are keeping it in the living room.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to set up a nursery to have to take it a part a few weeks later and move! I think the bassinet feature on the pnp is perfect in your case.

• Options
    BTW - if you really don't want the baby in your room you can put the PnP in what would be his room if you don't move.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll probably just put him in the Pnp until we figure out what we're doing.  I'll leave it in our room...I would hate to have him in an empty with just a PnP.

It's Beshert
  • Options
    I am so late on this but I am with the majorty - pnp in your room. And I will admit we transisitioned Sophia at 8 weeks to her room and with a little creativity it went off without a problem. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For the first five weeks of his life, Nicholas would only sleep in the pnp, swing or carrier.  He HATED the bassinet and crib, and from what I've heard a lot of babies are the same way, so I think its fine if you wait on the crib.  Nicholas would not sleep in his crib until he was 3 months old and that was only at night.  He wouldn't nap in it until he was 10 months old. I've learned that you can do all the planning you want, but the baby will have the final word on everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"