Stay at Home Moms

***teach1283***

Hi,

DH and I are looking for ways for me to SAH.  I'm a teacher cerified in History and English, could you give me any info on tutor.com?  Thanks.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher

Re: ***teach1283***

• You sign up for hours on Wed/Thurs/Fri each week for the next week.  They like you to work 5 hours min each week, preferably Sun-Thurs in the late afternoon/evening.  You pick 1 hour time frames and then sign in.  You can also just sign-in when available and you might get students.  You then wait until you are connected with a student and go into sort of like a chat room.  You work one-on-one with the student using a chat box as well as a whiteboard.  Students either log-in from their library or purchase hours directly.
    For each subject that you want to tutor, you are required to take a subject test.  They have them pretty split up - physics, chemistry, elementary science, elementary math, english - you get the idea.  They will ask you about your prior experience, but no teaching credentials are necessary.  You fill out an application, submit paperwork and then conduct a mock session online.
    The probationary period is just a period of time for you to get to know the service and them to get to know you.  You are paid slightly less - $9/hr.  You are evaluated once a week by your mentor.  Your mentor reads your sessions to make sure everything is going well.  It lasts a min of 30 days and a max of 90 days.  Then you are moved to tutor 1 status ($11/hr) as long as you have no major issues.
    They really stress not giving answers and asking the student questions to get them to do their own thinking.  Sometimes punky students log-in and then you just send them a prescripted message and log off.

Any other questions, let me know!  This month I will make around $1K.

• thanks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"