Adoption
Options

Did anyone watch House (spoilers)?

It made me hurt, first for the poor birthmom who was being treated like an incubator, given no respect and was bullied around.  Then when she decided to parent I felt so bad for Dr. Cuddy who I hated through the first part of the show. 

And of course they put both of my worse fears up there, the possibility that there is something wrong with the baby and that the mom changes her mind in the hospital.  Ugh, I normally love that show but it just left me with such a bad taste in my mouth and it makes me mad that they somehow made adoption look bad...

I don't even know how to express what I'm feeling...  I am interested to hear what other people thought of it, though. 

Re: Did anyone watch House (spoilers)?

• Options
    I am in California, so it is just starting here. I normally watch House but havent this season. I will TIVO it and let you know what I think...
  • Options

I sort of agree with you.  The birth mom wasn't treated very well.  The whole situation was a little iffy from the beginning.  It didn't appear to me she went through an agency, but maybe she did.  I haven't watched it much this year. 

I still felt extremely bad for Dr. Cuddy.  We had a failed match and even though it was early in the match and we have our beautiful Ben now, it still hurts.

There are a lot of things to fear with adoption, but the end result is worth all the worry and fear.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't watch it on purpose.  I didn't think I wanted to expose myself to it because my loss is so recent.
  • Options

I love House the show, but this one was sooooooooo unrealistic.  I wouldn't worry about it.

There would be a hospital social worker there at the very least, and more than likely, a hospital administartor who was adopting would have to take a LOA due to conflict of interest.

Plus, with HIPAA, the administrator would have to stay seriously out of the loop.

So so much of that episode was off, I wouldn't worry about it one little bit.  Oh, that and a Non-OB performing a c/s? Nope.  Someone walking into an OR in street clothes? Nope.  

Don't worry-the reality factor on that show (which I love, love, love) is crap!!!

• Options

I think the lack of realism and how they showed adoption bothered me too.  I wanted someone to stand up for the birthmom because she just seemed so alone and I wanted someone to be thinking of her best interest. 

I know that real life won't play out anything like that but still, it just played with my emotions in a way the writers might not have been intending. 

• Options

I didn't see it.

I sort of gave up House two seasons ago.  They made me MAD!
    I work in the field of bone marrow transplantation.  My team works tirelessly to ensure that patients w/o a matched donor (ie. sibling donor) can still have a transplant using an unrelated donor. 

House completely let the field down by featuring a highly unethical story about bone marrow donation.  Not only did the donor not have a say in the story (no consent) but it also portrayed the process as a terribly painful procedure (which is not correct).

I understand TV is often exaggerated.  That's all fine and well until a story line starts to impact the way people behave.  Since the House story ran, my staff have reported several encouters with the general public that bring up the story and are afraid to learn more about our program.

And now they've hit on adoption?  Ugh!!!

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options
    Shoot.  I saw the previews and meant to watch, but forgot.  I like that show, but it seems like they move it around so much that I never remember when it's on.  It's probably for the best though -- I really don't need to get riled up at the TV.  Smile
  • Options

I saw it last night, and I could see my husband looking over me to see if I was going to have a bad reaction.  But, it is just TV and not reality.  I was "offended" by a Lifetime movie regarding their portrayal of adoption.  I was telling my BFF how I upset I was with this movie and she replied "I hate it when lifetime shows those movies about rich men marrying poor women, and the woman ends up killing their husband.  When rich men see those movies it makes it harder for us poor girls to get a sugar daddy"  After I laughed, I realized how ridiculous it is to be upset about something on TV Wink 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"