March 2011 Moms
Options

Pregnancy and Lent....

Ok, So I'm not Catholic, and I don't want to make this into an uncomfortable religious debate or something, but I work at a Catholic School, and Tomorrow being Ash Wednesday I guess its a fasting type day.  Well, being pregnant, I can't fast... I'm supposed to be a role model for the kids, and don't know how to go about it if they are fasting and not eating meat and I am. 

Part of my contract is to follow and accept and respect the Catholic beliefs while in the school and at work.  So I have no problem doing any of this, but I can't not eat all day, and with my low iron I can't not eat meat either.  So anyone with insight on this... thank you in advance!!!! 

HarLynn's mama

Re: Pregnancy and Lent....

• Options

Unless, your school is very strict on Catholic traditions you are allowed to eat Fish as a meat product.

I'm catholic and during this time grew up every Friday on Fish because we couldn't eat any other meat. 

Plus, your pregnant and I'd just explain that to the students, that you still believe/agree with what needs to be done but your health does not allow you do it at this point in time.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Generally even if you are a semi-strict catholic you aren't required to fast if you are pregnant.

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a catholic who is a catholic school teacher... well until now that I'm preparing to be a SAHM... The church does not expect pregnant women to fast, we're one of the exceptions.  You should stay away from meat though, at least at school, have some with breakfast and dinner if you aren't catholic and are only doing it for your students.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageFLchick7:
    As a catholic who is a catholic school teacher... well until now that I'm preparing to be a SAHM... The church does not expect pregnant women to fast, we're one of the exceptions.  You should stay away from meat though, at least at school, have some with breakfast and dinner if you aren't catholic and are only doing it for your students.

Agreed.

BTW, "fasting" on Ash Wednesday doesn't mean not eating, it simply mean's eating one normal meal or two small meals. But like PP said, there are exceptions, and we are one of them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I also work at a Catholic school (and am not Catholic, FWIW) and had been wondering the same thing.  My contract is similar to yours.  Our school only serves soup, bread, and water (one serving per person) for lunch on Ash Wed.  I plan to bring my own lunch and not eat in the cafeteria.  When one of my coworkers was pregnant last year, that's what she did without anyone making a big deal out of it.

I'm actually more concerned about making it through our school-wide mass in the gym when I can't sit comfortably at all and have to pee every 30 minutes! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    From what I remember growing up you can have small light meals, especially if you have a medical condition (pregnancy)  If I were you I would eat a filling breakfast before school and bring something light to munch discreatly then plan to eat when you are done with work.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagemklove1984:

imageFLchick7:

Agreed.

BTW, "fasting" on Ash Wednesday doesn't mean not eating, it simply mean's eating one normal meal or two small meals. But like PP said, there are exceptions, and we are one of them. 

This 

• Options

I'm Catholic and don't follow any of that stuff (I will for sure eat meat tomorrow AND won't be giving anything up for Lent!).....but like PPs said, you could eat fish, or other things with protein in it (or just wait and have meat after school).  And I would just explain to them if they make a big deal that you have to eat.  Also, here is a site that says "During Lent abstinence from meat on Fridays is obligatory in the United States as elsewhere, and it is sinful not to observe this discipline without a serious reason (physical labor, pregnancy, sickness etc.)."  So I think you are good not to fast : )

https://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"