Baby Names
Options

Nicknames for Charles

My husband & I both really like the name Charles Robinson for first/middle names of our new baby on the way.  It incorporates both sides of our family which is great.

However, I don't know what we would call him...

I don't want to call him Charles (too formal), I like Charlie but there are SOOO many of them now, and I don't like Chuck.

Any other thoughts on nicknames for Charles?

What about "Les" since it's part of the name?

TIA

Re: Nicknames for Charles

• Options
    MrsVoMrsVo member
    I would assume the child was named Leslie if the nickname were Les. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2/07, TTC #1 since 8/09
    11/10 - Clomid Round 1 = BFN
    12/10 - Clomid Round 2 = BFN
    1/11 - Voluntary Break = BFN (duh)
    2/11 - Clomid Round 3 = BFN
    3/11 - Femara + IUI = BFP * Beta#1=56 * Beta#2=266
    *Cautiously expecting baby girls on November 28, 2011*
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I don't really like "Les." Also, it seems like a weird nn since the "Les" in the name isn't pronounced that way.

I don't think "Charles" sounds too formal. No other nicknames come to mind. The only nn for the Spanish version, "Carlos," is "Carlitos."

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH's name is Charles and he goes by Charles.  Some people call him Chaz, but it irritates him just because he is very set that his name is CHARLES and not anything else.  Chaz is, though, a nn for Charles.

There is a golfer named Charle.  I always giggle at that one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Cash is a nickname for Charles.

NMS and I wouldn't use it, but others do.

I LOVE Charlie!

• Options
    My friend goes by Chaz
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

If he turns out to be a Pokemon fan, he could go by Charmander. Stick out tongue

I really love Charles. (not being sarcastic) I don't think it is too formal. If you don't like it, then don't use it, IMO.

• Options
    I'd name the baby once he's born and let the nn come naturally. Sweating a nn for an in utero (or phantom) baby is silly and a waste of time, imo.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    Other nicknames I know for Charles are Chad and Chip.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    My brother's name is Charles and he goes by Charlie.  He hates it, honestly, and feels like it has become either a dog name or a girl name.  I like Casey as a nickname for Charles, or just stick with Charles (it is classic).  I think Charlie is really cute, but I can see my brother's point.
    Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    Would you consider calling him Rob as a nickname for the mn?  Just a suggestion if you don't like any of the nicknames for Charles.  I personally love the nickname Charlie.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Chad?  Chip?  Rob?   Seriously?   Those are odd choices, IMO.

We call our son Charles, but sometimes call him Charlie, too.   When he's older, we'll let him decide.   But I HATE Chuck and Chaz, so those are off the table.

There are plenty of non-name related nicknames out there.. I know a teenager called Bucky... obviously it's not tied to his name.

But nicknames are not necessary in my world, either.

• Options

Name Nerds has Chaz listed as a nick name for Charles, Charlton, Chayton, Chandler and Chester.

I do know a Chip who has a CH name, so it's not out of the realm of possibility I guess.

I'm not a fan of predetermined nick names though; I like when they develop naturally - they usually have a good story attached!

Here's a link to BTN that shows all the names related to Charles...maybe that will spark something.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/charles/related

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options

I've heard of Cal as a nickname.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Les is definitely a nickname for Charles and one that I was going to list along with Chaz and possibly Chase?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    I think Chase is a nice nn for Charles.  GL!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Chaz, Chase, Chip, Chuck... never heard of "Les" as a nn for Charles. Seems kinda farfetched.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options

Definitely not Les as a nn for Charles!  That would be like giving the nn "Har" because those three letters appear in that order in Charles. 

I'd go with Chaz.  I knew a great Chaz.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"