Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Hitting himself in the head when tired.... anyone else?

I meant to ask the dr when we went for his 9 month but I completley forgot since it turned into a sick visit because he had a nasty cold. We are going back next week so he can get his Hep B shot since he didn't get it at his regular appointment. I am going to bring this up as well but thought I would ask here too.

When Keegan is fighting sleep when I am rocking him he hits himself in the head. If I move his hand or try to hold it he tries to hit me. He will go back to hitting himself if I let him. He doesn't do it all the time but does do it now and then if I know he is exhausted and he is fighting it. Anyone else's little one do this? Is it normal?

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hitting himself in the head when tired.... anyone else?

• Mine doesn't hit himself in the head but he bangs his head. If he is fighting sleep he will bang his head on the floor or the crib mattress. Actually, maybe fighting sleep isn't the right term. When he is sleepy, he does it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My lo pulls his hair when he is really tired, I have heard of kids hitting their head though I think it's pretty common.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD tends to hit herself in the head when being goofy. She thinks its funny. Idk why.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSpring Mommy:
    yes!!! hits his head, pulls his ears, even pulls his hair. he will also run his hands all over his face and basically pulls on his face!

Same here

• My DS scratches his head when he's sleepy. When his hair is longer, he pulls at his hair, too.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• LO does this, or she smushes her nose so hard I am scared it is going to break off. Adorably funny when she does this with food in her mouth. Sometimes during dinner LO's peewee self just poops out and has to go to bed! 

• My daughter does this. If I stop her from hitting herself in the head then she hits me in the face! My mother said my sister did the same thing 20 years ago so I guess it's not abnormal. It just makes us moms think "what is wrong with my child?"
  • My LO hits whatever she can find.  Since I don't usually rock her to sleep, it's usually the mattress or the crib.  If by the off chance that I do rock her or it's not quite bedtime yet, she may hit my face or herself.  She may do it while she's eating too.  She also digs into her ear which totally freaks me out. 
  • My DS does this.  I'm so glad you posted this question because I was getting worried.  Sounds like lots of babies do this though.  :)  My DS will hit himself in the head, or pull his hair, or pull his ears, or hit me in the face, or grab my face, or grab my hand and throw it around ... always at night, while I'm nursing him, right before he goes to bed.  I've noticed he only does it when he is REALLY tired and fighting sleep though.  Still, I'm so relieved that it's no big deal and that other children do it too.
  • imageJMB22:
    My DS does this.  I'm so glad you posted this question because I was getting worried.  Sounds like lots of babies do this though.  :)  My DS will hit himself in the head, or pull his hair, or pull his ears, or hit me in the face, or grab my face, or grab my hand and throw it around ... always at night, while I'm nursing him, right before he goes to bed.  I've noticed he only does it when he is REALLY tired and fighting sleep though.  Still, I'm so relieved that it's no big deal and that other children do it too.

Me too! I was worried that it wasn't normal and he was the only one.

Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"