Working Moms

Do you rotate your freezer stash?

I have a decent freezer stash of bmilk from my maternity leave, but am pumping enough at work now for DS at daycare. Shoudl i be putting some of my fresh milk in the freezer and thawing out some of the freezer stash periodically? What do you do?

Re: Do you rotate your freezer stash?

• I think I would follow FIFO (first in first out) but this will be my first week pumping.
  • I freeze everything I pump on Friday, pump just in the mornings over the weekend, then bring 2 fresh and 2 thawed bottles to daycare on Monday.  She usually takes 3 bottles and I keep an extra, but if she only takes 2, I can use both of the fresh ones the next day.    I only started thawing recently, as the freezer bags got closer to 3 months old. 

• Loading the player...
  • I only rotated out when freezer stash approached the 3 month mark. I would just send one or two bottles with frozen, so DD would have at least one fresh bottle a day.  When the stash wasn't that old I sent all fresh.

But I was traveling every month or two for work, so my freezer stash was mostly used while I was out of town. 

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • Whatever I pump on Fri, Sat and Sun gets frozen.  On Mondays, I thaw the oldest milk from the stash and send that with DD to daycare.  It seems to be working. 

• I have been using my old stash and putting freshly pumped milk in freezer so I make sure to use my old milk 1st.  I do sometimes use the milk I pumped from the day before though to help with using more storage bags.  I would just make sure you are using the milk before it "expires" etc. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did not really rotate.  I used fresh whenever fresh was available and froze the extra.  I also have a deep freeze so the milk is good up to 12 months.  I don't pump anymore, but we're still using up some milk I pumped 6+ months ago.
  • Yes!

I had 200oz when I went back to work.  I started rotating it out when it was approaching 3 months.  I also am adding a little each week to it (I'm close to 250oz now). 

My rotation is going to be pretty constant since I have so many ounces and I'm continually replenishing it.  DD only gets 2-3 bottles at daycare so not much.  With rotating out my freezer stash I have to do about 1 or 2 bottles of frozen.  I usually have to add a little fresh in to get to the exact amount she needs, but she's been getting 1-2 bottles of frozen milk a day at daycare for the last month or so.  Its the only way I can keep up with not letting my freezer stash expire!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This is what I always did - freze whatever I pumped on Fridays and any extra I had during the week and then Sunday night nights defrost the oldest milk in the freezer for Monday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"