Special Needs

sign language...

Does anyone have any DVD reccommends or any other reccomendations for my dd and I to learn sign language?

My dd just did two signs....eat and ball from watching baby einstein. I wonder what else I could do to encourage her learning(as well as mine).We met a little boy, 18 months,  at the pedi's office that was signing awhile back and I thought it would be great if my dd could communicate with him.

Any advice would be great! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: sign language...

• I use Signing Time dvds with my class at school.  Myself and the children love them.

Here is the website: https://www.signingtime.com/?gclid=CJi-zKmRwJYCFQykagodZj8Fyg

Or you can just google signing time.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPregnancy Ticker
  • They have a lot of online games too you can do with him.  (try asl on line or google sign games). Also there are a lot of visual picture cards available at most book stores and online. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It really depends what you want.  Do you want to teach your dd a language?  Then I would enroll in a class and make an effort to meet and expose your dd to deaf people.  If you simply want to have early communication with your dd, I'd buy a few books and introduce a few signs here and there.

Be aware that there are books out there that are soley for the purpose of communication, ie, for the sign flower, they have the infant/toddler sniff as if they were sniffing a rose.  This is NOT part of American Sign Language.  ASL, is the language that most deaf adults use.  In ASL there is a specific sign for flower.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our special needs son LOVES signing time! The dvd's are a bit pricey but we taped them from PBS.  He asks for "Leah" all the time.  (It's signing time with Alex and Leah..... the theme song can really get stuck in your head) Big Smile

• i rec baby signing time as well.  ryan doesn't really watch tv, but he LOVES baby signing time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Babies learn sign the same way they learn any language.  When I was learning ASL in college, I had a few great books.  My favorite, that I still refer to is the Joy of Signing.  Just model the signs for your child, and you will be amazed how quickly they pick them up.  I have used signs while working with my nieces and nephews and they pick them up after just a few times. 
  • Lurker here...

I'm not sure of your history since I'm not around much, but if you're trying to teach him/her sign language for early communication, repetition is the most important thing. Every time you hand her a bottle and tell her it's time for his/her bottle, be sure to use the sign for milk, every time you say daddy's name, sign daddy, etc. If your child is a little older, it's fun to make a game out of it to see what signs they can remember by pointing things out in the world around them sort of like I-spy.

My sign language mentor taught her baby boy sign language for early communication primarily this way, and she used the dvd's and books as a reinforcement.

I agree with pp's that if you're planning on having them learn sign language as their language, it's important to get them in a class. ASL is very different from Signed English, which is essentially what you would be using if you were teaching sign language for early communication. It's what those in the deaf community usually use, and just like English or any other language it takes several years and a lot of exposure to really begin to grasp.

JMO =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"