Breastfeeding
Options

If your DC STTN

Do you get up and pump? I have still been getting up and pumping on nights when DD STTN due to engorgement. I'm wondering if there is ever a point when I won't need to do this, although it has helped me build my freezer stash!
DD 4yo DS 1yo

Re: If your DC STTN

• Options

DS doesn't sleep through the night yet but there will be nights where he sleeps for 6+ hrs (only occasionally unfortunately) and only one night have I had to get up and pump.  Usually I sleep as well and notice when I wake up that I'm engorged but not to the point where I'm in pain.

• Options
    Nope, I used the time to sleep. I did occasionally wake up though and have to pump for relief, but I did eventually adjust.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my DD started going longer stretches, I just let myself get engorged.  You can pump to release the pressure, but you may not want to do a full pumping session, since you're not signaling to your body to stop making milk and you'll keep producing.
  • Options
    If you don't pump or pump only a couple minutes just to relieve engorgement, your body will adjust in a couple days.  If you keep pumping your breasts empty, your body will still think it needs to produce milk at that time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD1 - july 2008
    DD2 - may 2010
    DS - sept 2012
  • Options
    nope, i just deal with the pain until he wakes up.  actually now i get up before him, shower, get dressed.  but i'm starting to not pump enough each day so i might wake up a couple of nights to get some more stash.
  • Options
    No. When he first started STTN I woke up engorged, but I never bothered to get up and pump. I slept till he woke up, fed him and then pumped the remaining when he was done.
  • Options
    I did for a while, but decided I needed the sleep.  It was a few uncomfortable mornings, but now my body has adjusted.  I will pump a little if I need relief, but sometimes I just dump it b/c it's not even enough for a full feeding for DD.
  • Options
    Nope, I just wait until he wakes up and fed him.  He is a bit inconsistent still -- sometimes up at 4 am, sometimes 6 am, but my body adjusts pretty well.  If you aren't in pain, I'd just just wait until he wakes.
  • Options
    I wasnt getting up and now I wish I had. My supply is starting to drop quickly and the LC said its common once they start sleeping through. Body is producing prolactin more at night which is  aBF hormone but by not "using it" you are telling the body you dont need it. So I am back to either pumping or doing a dream feed at night if he doesnt wake up just to get my supply back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"