Illinois Babies

wanted any and all info on moving to chicagoland

we most likely will be moving north of the city sometime this year for Dh's job.

we have looked around crystal lake and cary areas...i would LOVE and appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly :)

also if you know of any new developments (housing wise) in the areas too.

thank you thank you :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: wanted any and all info on moving to chicagoland

• I hear Northbrook, Arlington Heights, Deerfield, Highland Park, and Glencoe are nice areas.  Here is a little something I found for you:  https://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago-suburbs/54067-moving-north-chicago-suburbs.html

Doesn't hurt to Google North Chicagoland or Chicago Northern Suburbs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, I have been using the site you have listed :)

Just was wondering about actual experiences of people who actually live in those areas.

• Loading the player...
  • I live in Buffalo Grove now and it's a nice area.

I think Cary/Crystal Lake is a little too far if you or DH will be working in Chicago. That area is more Northwest than North. 

I used to live in Grayslake and that is pretty nice as well, it's further north than where I am now. it all depends on where you'll be working, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest! image image
  • Crystal Lake is nice, but an older suburb.  Look into surrounding areas, such s Huntley, Algonquin, Lakewood.   Newer homes with young families.  I hear that the combined school district (158) for these areas is supposed to be great.

As pp have mentioned, these areas are a bit of a drive away from the city so it depends how long of a commute your DH is willing to make.   The good thing is there is a metra train stop in Crystal Lake and Cary.   

The other areas previous mentioned (Glencoe, Deerfield) are nicer but a lot more expensive than Crystal Lake.   Can you provide a ballpark of how much you're looking to spend?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I live in Arlington Heights and absolutely love it!!!!  We are looking to move into a place with more space and are looking into Cary, Crstal Lake, or Algonquin which are all more affordable than Arlington Heights.  You can get a lot more for your money the further NW you go.  There are newer developments in Crystal Lake and Algonquin.  I am actually a Realtor as well in Barrington so please let me know if I can help you at all.  Good Luck!
  • I live in Huntley and it's all new housing and young families. The schools are great (district 158). It's about 45 min to an hour to get to the city. It's still close enough but just far enough out. It's a newer upcoming area that has expanded so much over the past 8 years that I've lived out here. Anything you could possibly want is here. Malls, restaurants, furniture stores, Sting Ray Bay (water park) located in Huntley and has cheap rates for residents. I moved from the city of Chicago to get a bigger house for better money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you ladies!!

Dh actually will be working in Woodstock...so we wanted to stay near that area...and everytime I tell people about that area they look at my with a blank stare :) and ask how far away from the city we will be.

Thank you all again for your insight :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"