Health & Exercise
Options

p90x versus Insanity Workout

Hello, I'm a lurker on this site and this is my first question on the health & exercise site so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.  Me and my girlfriends are doing a biggest loser type of contest at work and I intend to win!!!  LOL.  However, I'm just trying to decide which workout is better and more effective.  I see the commericials for both but I still can't decide.  Thanks.

My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road

Re: p90x versus Insanity Workout

• Options
    I have 1 friend doing Insanity and 1 doing p90x.  I think it depends on your fitness level..I think (from talking to them) that p90x is slightly harder (more pull ups etc).  Both of my friends have gotten great results.  I would say if you are already pretty fit, try p90x.  If you are no so fit, try Insanity and you will still feel like you are going to die!
  • Options
    Ive done both (though I olny finished Insanity all the way through) and I like them both but I found Insanity to be more my style. I felt like P90 was sometimes too much to handle and found my self procrastinating to get it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've have both. I was unable to finish insanity because I got pregnant and have only tried a couple of the different vidoes from P90X. I plan to due a full cycle of each this year. I feel like Insanity is very cardio based with lots of plyometrics involved although there is definately some strengthening as well. If I was you I would go to the beachbody website and read up on them and go to their message boards. There is also a comparison chart on the website of the different programs they offer. It might give you a better idea of what fits you best. I think you will see great results with either as long as it is something you are willing to stick with. Good Luck!!!
  • Options

Hi there!

I'm a Coach for Beachbody (aka, distributor).  My opinion, if you're looking for which program will give you the quickest pound-age lost (is that even a word? lol!) I would suggest Insanity.  P90X is, mainly, a strength training program, which means you'll be building muscles mass.  Muscle weighs more than fat so the # on the scale may increase, even if your body fat % decreases. 

Insanity is also a strength training program, but mainly cardio.  It's full of sports-type drills and uses your own body weight for resistance, vs using equipment like weights or a pull up bar.  With Insanity you'll burn fat (whild building lean muscle mass) and the # on the scale may be smaller than if you were doing P90X.

Here are some comparisions:

• Both programs cost the same, $120 retail ($90 if you sign up as a Coach)
    • P90X is a 90 day program.  Insanity is a 60 day program.
    • P90X, the workouts are typically 1-1 1/2 hrs long.  Insanity, the workouts are typically 30-45 mins long.
    • P90X requires additional equipment purchased (a pull up bar, weights).  Insanity requires no additional equipement.
    • BOTH programs require a foundation of fitness.  Meaning, if you haven't worked out in YEARS, you should start with a less intense program like Slim in 6 or Turbo Jam.

Here are some videos on both programs:

P90X and Insanity

I think both programs are excellent, and you won't go wrong with either!  Which program is right for you depends on your fitness style and what you what to acheive in what time frame.  Again, if you're looking for a program that will give you the most weight lost in a short amount of time, I'd say Insanity is your route.

If you need any other help I'm always here!  You can reach me at karimoore_pt at yahoo.com

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • Options
    If you haven't been working out prior to this then I would recommend doing the Power 90.  It is a precursor to P90X and is lead by Tony Horton like P90X, but it is for those who need to get into a good fitness routine from nothing.  Programs like the P90X are for those who are already exercising and are in some kind of shape.  If you start from not exercising to something like P90X or Insanity, then you are at a greater risk for injury. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can purchase p90x in a store or only online?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I purchased mine from Ebay for $50,
  • Options

Only online.  I'm a Beachbody Coach and offer online Coaching to my customers, so if that's something you're interested in, you can get P90X from my website www.coachkari.com

I can't comment of people buying it on ebay or similar sites.  You'll most likely get a used product and may or may not get the entire program.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • Options

I am on day 65 of P90X and have lost 8lbs of my 10lb goal and am down one clothing size. I blogged about it here if you want more info. To be perfectly honest I am finishing the program

a)because I started it and want to complete my goal,

b)because of my blog and the many friends/family who have supported me through it.

I don't believe it is the "best" program for me personally because it is so strength based. I am actually modifying it now to add more running and yoga. I have been retaining a lot of water due to the muscle building and the cardio helps me balance that out. Plus I will need to end it early if our IVF cycle stays on schedule. I definitely plan on Insanity post pregnancy (cross your fingers!).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"