Baby Showers

hostess gifts for mother and step mother in law?

My mom and my husband's step mother are hosting my shower.  What should I do for hostess gifts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image

Re: hostess gifts for mother and step mother in law?

• There are so many possibilities.  Do they enjoy a hobby?  Do they like manicures/pedicures, what foods do they like?  You could get them gift cards to use for any of these things.  If you are trying to save $ you could invite them to your place as a "thank you" lunch or dinner.
  • they are polar opposites from each other.  Neither has a hobby, they have far different tastes in restaurants (my inlaws like it expensive and out of my price range), my mother gets her nails done by a friend with her own business and my step mother in law has no interest and my inlaws only really see us on birthdays and holidays so even though they live close, inviting them over is a big hassle.  See why i have a dilemma?
  • Loading the player...
  • In that case I would get or send each of them flowers and give them a nice thank you card and be done with it.  If they don't like flowers they can give them to someone else.  lol
  • I agree send flowers or perhaps a nice plant if they like houseplants
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't have to get them the same things. I would do gift cards to like a dinner out, spa or store you know they like. Even if someone has less expensive tastes, I'm sure she'd appreciate a GC to spend.
  • I appreciate all the advice but none of these ideas are jumping at me.  My step mother in law sees us only on occasion and I don't have the first clue on what she likes and vice versa (as evidence on gifts they get for us).  She wanted to surprise me with a shower because she doesn't know how much I HATE surprises.  My mom is not the biggest fan of gift cards and if its to dinner, she would want it a for a place that she, my grandmother, and my husband and I would all be able to go to and that is very difficult.
  • my husband came up with the idea of a small piece of jewelry with the baby's and the adult children's/mom's birthstones.  seems like the most practical fo rme at the moment because we already gave photo albums when we told about the pregnancy
  • imagerhubarb123:
    In that case I would get or send each of them flowers and give them a nice thank you card and be done with it.  If they don't like flowers they can give them to someone else.  lol

This. My aunt is always sending flowers for occasions, and I thought it was silly & wasteful when I was younger. Now though, I completely appreciate it. It's a nice way to show caring & thanks- something thoughtful and beautiful without majorly encroaching on someone's tastes or taking a risk. I have realized that (in general) if you can't be thankful for a nice flower arrangement, you're probably being greedy or selfish and that's your problem.

It might not be 'perfect,' but if there is no perfect gift then this is as good as it gets.  

• mmksmmks member

Not sure if this will help or not, but my MIL is hosting our shower and is also hard to buy for and I was having a hard time thinking of what to give her. 

I was going to do a Watch 'em Grow spring bulb plant kit, but they're traveling after the shower.  I think I've decided to do a gift certificate from Fandango (you can buy movie tickets that can be used at any theater) or a gift card to a movie theater near them.  I might put it with some boxes of candy and popcorn...hope this helps!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • How about a big thank you, a nice thank you card and enjoying yourself at the party they threw for you?  

It's not common here for shower hostess presents and I never heard of it til the knot/bump/nest.  I'm not against getting them something special/small as a token of appreciation, but you can bet your butt that I'd be actually a little irked if someone (a mom-to-be) got me an expensive/elaborate present in exchange of my gift to them (a shower).  If I didn't want to do it for them, I wouldn't have done it for them.  I don't do it because I want a cool/expensive present.  Use the money on the baby, eh? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"