Single Parents

Those that started as single moms..

Just some questions..

Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? Did you go back to work after? How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)? How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)? How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo?

Just sort of wondering how everyone else handled being a single mom off the bat. So far things are very easy for me, but then again i'm still on maternity leave, and I was blessed with a very calm baby. My mom helped for the first two weeks, and now i'm on my own. But I'd love to hear from those of you that are ahead of me in this. Cause I know reality is right around the corner to smack me in the face. (if this makes no sense, please remember i'm slightly brain dead from lack of sleep)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those that started as single moms..

• I split from my XH when I was eight months pg, so I was on my own from day one. 

My mom and aunt helped a ton when P arrived.  My mom stayed with me for a few weeks until I was comfortable on my own.

XH WAS paying support from the get go.  A lot of it.  However, that all stopped last May and I have only received one CS payment along with a small garnishment from his bank account since then.  He owes me more than $11K in back support.

I went on my first date about six months after we split.  I have dated a lot and had a few VERY short term relationships since then.

How do I really feel about being a single mom?  Usually I am ok with it.  But there are times where it has been really tough.  Given my situation, it cannot be any other way.  I just try to make the best of things and do my best to not feel differently than other families.  I like being able to parent how I see fit (I am sure that XH and I wouldn't agree on a lot of different aspects of parenting). 

• I haven't been with BD since I was 4 months pregnant but I've always had people here helping me out. I still live at home so my mom helps me out. I'm looking for a job now that LO is sleeping through the night but jobs are hard to find around here. I've filed for CS and we have court in a month because he didn't show up to our court date a couple weeks ago. I've dated since BD left. I got back with an old boyfriend so I wouldn't be so lonely when I was pregnant but that ended when I was put on bed rest. Since then I've dated around but nobody I meet really wants a relationship. I don't like doing this without BD but I know we're better off without him.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did have help when he arrived. I meant to go back to work but got laid off while on maternity leave, so I'm living with my mom now and going to school. I don't receive support from his father, he's not involved at all. I haven't started "dating" technically, but that's complicated. I really love doing this alone. My life is simple and I have amazing support...I couldn't imagine it any other way.
  • imagemomranda:

Just some questions..

Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? Did you go back to work after? How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)? How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)? How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo?

I kicked my stage 5 clinger boyfriend to the curb when I was about 2-3 months pregnant. My brother and SIL bought a house 3 years ago that was large enough for them, and my daughter and I. So I live with them. But they are not "kids" people and never plan on having kids. So they have never had that instinct to help if that makes sense. Not that they wont! Because they will but I have to ask.

So from day 1 I was on my own. They both work full time so it was just me and the baby (my daughter is 12 and would be at school).

My company does not have a mat leave so everything I took off was unpaid. I ended up having to go back to work right at 6 weeks. And he started daycare.

My son's father has only seen him maybe a half dozen times in a year so its just me.

image www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? My parents were really good, BD left at 8 mo preggo and tried coming around when DD was 2 weeks.

Did you go back to work after? I went back at 3 weeks, DD stayed with her great grandma until she was 6 mo then went to DC

How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)? BD paid my rent for 8 months, then quit I took him to court and 5 months after that started getting regular $ support.

How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)? like 3 months? Met my now H exactly 2 years ago fromt his weekend!

How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo? I honestly loved being a single parent for the most part, it was just me and DD and I did things our way and didn't have to worry about somebody else, of course there were hard times when we both were sick or we both were just beyond tired and upset, I remember us both sitting on my couch just crying. It was a huge adjustment when H moved in with us, trying to accomodate and share the time and attention.

• imagemomranda:

Just some questions..

Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? My mom stayed with me for a week and then I was on my own. Did you go back to work after?  I went back to work after 6 weeks.  The first couple of weeks were rough but once DD started STTN things were sooooooo much easier! How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)?  I'm still not getting anything and she's 4 months now.  I filed but IL is unbelievably slow.  At this point I'll be excited just to get an appointment date! How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)?  I just went on my first date this week (DB and I broke up when I was 5 months pregnant).  The guy was really nice and I would love to have him as a friend but the physical attraction just wasn't there. How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo?  At first I really struggled with it.  Perhaps because I was a bit overwhelmed with a newborn and it was right around the holidays so it made being a single parent extra lonely.  But I've gotten into a routine and things are going great.  DB doesn't see our LO at all right now and it's so nice not to have to worry about fitting him into our schedule.  I do really want to do things how I always planned though.  I'd love to get married, have another baby and get to experience the joy and excitement of being pregnant with a supportive husband.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemomranda:

Just some questions..

Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived?

I stayed with my mom and step dad for about 2 months after L was born but it was during the holidays so I would have been with them anyways a lot of that time. 

Did you go back to work after?

Got 6 weeks paid mat leave...I took 2 extra weeks with PTO I had saved during my pregnancy 

How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)?

Still waiting...VA must be slow too...they've been trying to verify his address for 3 and a half months now :(  He works for the government and is military so I don't see how it can be so freaking hard.  I am waiting right now for someone to call me back since they won't give me the number of my caseworker which is really pissing me off.  I'm about to have to take a day off of work to drive out to the office that services my county since it's about an hour away and not budge till someone talks to me because this is ridiculous!  If I knew exactly what he needed to do I would go through his command but I have to have my ducks in a row before I go that route.  

How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)?

Nope...not dating yet.  I feel like I'm ready but right now I don't want to leave him with someone when he's at daycare all week already.  I'm sure I'll get over this soon and need a break but we'll see. 

How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo?

Honestly...I think it agrees with me.  It's definitely hard don't get me wrong!  I just always hear my friends complaining about their DH's not doing this, that, or the other and that they fight over parenting styles so it just makes me realize I can raise L how I want and not have to answer to anyone about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemomranda:

Just some questions..

Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived?

I live in the same town as my parents (they live about 3 miles from where we lived) so my mom took half days for 2 weeks to come and help me out. We broke up when I was 8 months pregnant but lived together until ds was 7 months because we were on a lease together. He worked in another city over an hour away so he wouldn't stay with us during the week, and then chose to get a second job so he would only come back every other weekend.....

Did you go back to work after?

Yes I was planning on going back after 8 weeks but I couldn't handle the thought of going back so soon. I had to at 11 weeks because I couldn't afford it anymore, and ds went to daycare

How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)?

Not until ds was 16 months. 

How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)?

I had dated someone (I don't think you could even consider it a relationship because it lasted only two weeks) when ds was 7 months and it didn't work out. It was just too soon. I then started dating someone when ds was 1 year (we had known each other for awhile before we started dating) and we dated for 8.5 months, went through a bunch of stuff and had a break for almost a year, and now we're pretty much back together

How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo?

There are days where it just sucks major balls. I mean, throw my hands up in the air and ship ds off to his father, type of days. Then there are others where I can't handle being without him (like this weekend) cause I miss his little giggles, and hugs and crazy antics!

Just sort of wondering how everyone else handled being a single mom off the bat. So far things are very easy for me, but then again i'm still on maternity leave, and I was blessed with a very calm baby. My mom helped for the first two weeks, and now i'm on my own. But I'd love to hear from those of you that are ahead of me in this. Cause I know reality is right around the corner to smack me in the face. (if this makes no sense, please remember i'm slightly brain dead from lack of sleep)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • My ex and I were split long before I had DS. The first week my mom stayed with me to help out and after that I was on my own. I did live with my sister and her FI for a while too so that was nice to have them there. I'm still on mat leave (we get a year in Canada) and have received minimal CS from ex. There is nothing formal set up just yet but I am going to a lawyer on Monday to start the process.

As far as my feelings on doing it solo - it's all i've ever known so I don't know any different. I know there is going to come a day when DS will ask about "daddy" and I'm not sure just yet how to handle it but I do want to be as honest as possible without dirty details.

I've been very lucky to have great family support from my parents, cousins, and sister. I know it sounds weird but being on your own right from the get go might work to your advantage, at least it has for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been on my own since I was 5 months pregnant. I had to leave my x because he put my baby and my life in danger. I didn't have a choice but to leave. I'm dreading the fact of going through this alone. I live at home with my parents now but I've been on my own since I was 17 so it's been an adjustment. What will be nice though is that my mom is a SAHM so she will be here with me 24-7 in case I need help or anything. I just wish I had the "ideal" family.
  • Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? I was living at my sister's so I had her, my brother-in-law, my mom came over, my aunt, etc. They all were great.Did you go back to work after? I am a teacher and because I had C in the summer I didn't get paid once school started so I took an 89 day unpaid leave. I hated going back and tried everything I could to figure out a way to stay home with him longer.How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)? I filed on 8/24 (wish I would have filed sooner) and I got my first payment directly from him on 12/9. That was for the back money and then I got money by the end of December from his payments to domestic relations.How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)? It has been a little over a year since I broke up with the ex. I was 4 months pregnant when I left and I still haven't been on a date. I really wish I was dating but I have no idea where I am going to meet anyone. Its getting depressing :-(How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo? Most of the time it doesn't bother me. I like not having to deal with the ex and his habits. I like only having to worry about the two of us. But other times it is really lonely and I want to cry. And sometimes it really bothers me that the ex has no responsibility and hasn't had to adjust his life. But I would never give up being with C every day and getting to experience everything he does. Plus he gives the best kisses.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
  • Did you have anyone help you when LO arrived? Thankfully I had my mom to help me when she wasn't working at school during the day. She took a few days off to help since I had a C section. Everyone has been pretty helpful and supportive.
    Did you go back to work after?I haven't yet but I'm planning on it. It's just so hard to find somewhere to take her in the little town I live in. 
    How long did it take for you to receive any support from BD (if you got any)?I don't have any..How long after LO did you start dating again (if you have)? I haven't started dating yet but there is someone that is around. Most guys just aren't okay with seeing someone with a kid.
    How do you REALLY feel about doing this solo? Some days are good, some days are just horrible. He was never around the entire time I was pregnant, so I've been doing it since I found out really. The help has been nice, but I know we are better off without him, as sad as that is.
  • I did have XH around to help after YDD was born, even though it was not as much as if he actually lived with me.  I also had my parents and siblings and friends for support.

XH started paying regularly about 5 months after he left, the next month I had a court order in place due to the divorce filing.  He did go about six months after the D was final last fall not paying, but wages are being garnished now.  

I'm really getting to the place now where I'm thinking about dating.  It's been almost 2 years that I've been on my own.

I hate that I have to do this solo (XH is there, but not as a H, so I don't always have the emotional support I wish I did) but I've survived so far and I'll get by just fine for the next 17 years...

• My SO left before the pee on the stick was dry!  He made it very clear he didn't want anything to do with either of us and that's fine with me.  We have not attempted to contact him and he has never seen LO - doesn't even know if LO was a boy or girl!

I moved back in with my parents and rent their upstairs.  Not ideal but ideal for right now.  I am back to work and work at a daycare where I can take DS with me.  The pay isn't great, but the lack of childcare expense makes it worthwhile.

The first few weeks were very difficult.  I had a complicated forceps delivery and tore from @$$hole to eyebrow! lost bladder control, the whole 9 yards.  I wouldn't have made it without my mom.  She changed and bathed LO and brought him to me to hold and BF.  But we are doing well on our own now and I hope the sperm-donor never tries to contact either one of us!  He doesn't deserve it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"