Washington Babies
Options

How old was your LO when you stopped giving a bottle?

Our Ped says we should drop the bottle at 12 months.  I'm curious when others did.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How old was your LO when you stopped giving a bottle?

• Options
    Holden's last bottle was on his 1st bday.   The very next day we switched to sippies and milk!
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Options
    Um, Lulu still gets a bottle at night.  She drinks out of sippies too, but she still likes her bottle at bedtime.  She isn't really a cold turkey kind of kid, so we're transitioning slowly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAlli923:
    Um, Lulu still gets a bottle at night.  She drinks out of sippies too, but she still likes her bottle at bedtime.  She isn't really a cold turkey kind of kid, so we're transitioning slowly.

I think this is what we might have to do.  She's pretty good with not having a bottle during the day, but she really wants those bedtime ones.

• Options

imageAlli923:

We also did a slower transition with Jillian dropping daytime bottles just after 12 months and then night time bottles around 14 months.  Hayden can use a sippy cup now although she only drinks water out of it since I don't like the hassle of mixing formula in it.  At 12 months I'll start giving her milk in it.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Options

Both my kids on their 1stbirthday - cold turkey

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • Options

OK I just would love to know why there's this random 12 month rule about bottles.  WTF is the difference between a bottle and a sippy cup?  No one will tell you you really have to stop BF'ing at 12 months.  So why would they tell you to arbitrarily make a baby stop using a bottle at 12 months?  I say do what feels right to you.  If the bottle is a source of comfort, I think it's cruel to just yank it away for no reason.   I think you should be starting to teach them to drink from a regular cup though at some point because drinking from an open cup is a skill that you do need to learn in the 2nd year.  But drinking from a bottle doesn't inhibit their ability to learn to drink from a cup too.  

I think no one should be sleeping with a bottle in their mouth.  That is the only thing that would be "bad" about a bottle.  But using a bottle to have a drink before bed/nap or for in the car or whatever, I don't see a problem.  It's really not that much different than a sippy or a sports bottle or anything.  

That said, Ben had a bottle before bed only til probably at least 18 months.   Cooper used to have a bottle before bed but a few months ago he suddenly decided that was over.   

• Options
    Cold Turkey doesn't work for our family, we just went with the flow with Tristen, he dropped it completely by 15 months without a fuss, or anything.  We just always offered him sippies, but if he asked for a bottle we would give it to him.  Eventually he just stopped asking for the bottles.  Then I packed them up so if he did ask I would tell him they are all gone. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageAlli923:

This. I think we were about 14 months by the time it was GONE. Slow transition worked well for us.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I started giving formula in a sippy cup during the day around 11 months.  It was hard at first because I had to figure out WHAT type of sippy cup she would use. Straws were it for her.  Playtex and Nuby being the best.

So by probably 11 1/2 months, she only got a bottle at bed time. 

Around 12 months, I started making sure to brush her teeth after having the bottle.  From what I understand, this is the reason that they're supposed to transition away from the bottle.  (Teeth)

My ped said as long as she was getting her teeth brushed after, then, heck, she could have a bottle til Kindergarten. Wink

Anyways, I'd been meaning to transition to a sippy cup of warm milk, but she was always sick or some sort of other transition was going on, so we JUST completely switched to sippy cups only.

Long story, short answer: 14 months. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrs_smith717:

I started giving formula in a sippy cup during the day around 11 months.  It was hard at first because I had to figure out WHAT type of sippy cup she would use. Straws were it for her.  Playtex and Nuby being the best.

So by probably 11 1/2 months, she only got a bottle at bed time. 

Around 12 months, I started making sure to brush her teeth after having the bottle.  From what I understand, this is the reason that they're supposed to transition away from the bottle.  (Teeth)

My ped said as long as she was getting her teeth brushed after, then, heck, she could have a bottle til Kindergarten. Wink

Anyways, I'd been meaning to transition to a sippy cup of warm milk, but she was always sick or some sort of other transition was going on, so we JUST completely switched to sippy cups only.

Long story, short answer: 14 months. :)

Right - milk before bed is a potential issue with teeth.  But the bottle doesn't matter at all.   My ped dentist said as long as they didn't fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth that the teeth issue was really fine.  She suggested that by around 2 it would be nice if they at least drank a little water after the milk before falling asleep, but she wasnt' very concerned either way. 

• Options
    Sippy cup during the day at daycare from (10-11mo) with bottle still at home because he refused it from us. Then at 11mo, cold turkey, no more bottle is what worked for us. Mostly because I heard after 1 year it just gets harder - and frankly seeing Toddlers with bottles and pacifiers just bugs me. And I was just sick of cleaning them and tracking the parts - what cup was where and when he would take what etc.
  • Options

I think we switched morning/night bottle for sippies at about 16 months.  From what I've read it's generally easier to do before 18 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS will get his last bottle tomorrow night, his 1st birthday. Did the same for DD as well.
    imageimage
    Alivia Nichole Willow Nov. 9th 2007 @ 8:22pm 9 lbs 4 oz 20.5"
    Ian Robert March. 5th 2010 @ 6:41pm 9 lbs 1 oz 20.5"

Our blog http://rappfamilyof4.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Our pedi said 18 mo, but here we are and he gets a bottle at nighttime still. He drinks out of a zippy with a straw otherwise. I don't think he is ready to drop the nightime bottle and I am perfectly fine with that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I packed up the bottles at 11.5 months - and Jackson didn't notice one bit.  He was never really attached to a bottle though, and he kept grabbing sippy cups. The time seemed right for him, so I made the change cold turkey.

My SIL is still using a bottle, feeding every 3 hours (whole milk) for my niece who is almost 18 months old.

• Options
    imageBri&Shane_3/8/08:

I packed up the bottles at 11.5 months - and Jackson didn't notice one bit.  He was never really attached to a bottle though, and he kept grabbing sippy cups. The time seemed right for him, so I made the change cold turkey.

My SIL is still using a bottle, feeding every 3 hours (whole milk) for my niece who is almost 18 months old.

See now that is a problem because that's probably way too much milk in a day. 

• Options
    My pedi actually never told me Ella needed to drop bottles. I have not done it yet. The pedi does want to make sure she's gaining enough weight and she will drink way more out of a bottle than a sippy and she's getting molars right now, so once they are in that's when I am going to go cold turkey. Hopefully that will be soon! :)
  • Options

We tried after 12mths but Coop became fussy with his food so if he had a nighttime bottle at least I knew he was getting something in him!

At around 18mths we switched to sippy cups but he now still has one at night when we read him bedtime stories. I guess it's part of our night time routine. I really don't see the difference if he has a cup of milk with his dinner or his storytime though - he is still taking in the daily calcium he needs.

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options
    With Audrey it was about 10 months. She hated the bottle and only ever took a partial of one 5 oz bottle of pumped milk during the day at daycare. We switched to Sippys thinking maybe she would take more. Nada. She preferred to nurse. When we weaned at 13 months then she was only getting Sippys since her bottles were packed up at 10 months.

Rye went to Sippys at 11 months. Again, he was only nursed at home, Nd T daycare only took 1 bottle. We just switched to Sippys and didn't have any problem. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"